Working as a Snorkel Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

o0BigDave0o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently qualified as a BSAC Snorkel Instructor and have wondered whether there is a potential job market in this sector, both UK or abroad. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice that they would be able to share about how I could career progress in this field please? e.g. any large snorkel organisations/ places to look at etc.

FTR: I am a PADI Rescue Diver with additional qualifications, Reef Check Qualified with a FdSc in Marine Conservation & an BSc in Marine Biology - how employable (if at all) would I be?

Thanks in advance!

I dont think you will find much employment as a snorkel instructor. You will need to continue your education and at least become ad divemaster or consider switching to a lifeguard or swim instructor.

Hi,

Congratulations on becoming a snorkel instructor.

Just like all BSAC SCUBA instructors you can only instruct within a BSAC Branch or on Regional events, if you want BSAC Public Liability insurance to apply. Once you go commercial, in the UK, you fall under the 'work' regulations for providing a service to the Public.

That said local sports centres teach snorkeling, however, most of their instructors are BSAC snorkel instructors.

Remember if your teaching under 18s in the UK you must go through Safeguarding checks.

Overseas: I'm not aware of any other diving agency that teaches snorkel, cruse ships might be one area to consider.

Hi,

Congratulations on becoming a snorkel instructor.

Just like all BSAC SCUBA instructors you can only instruct within a BSAC Branch or on Regional events, if you want BSAC Public Liability insurance to apply. Once you go commercial, in the UK, you fall under the 'work' regulations for providing a service to the Public.

That said local sports centres teach snorkeling, however, most of their instructors are BSAC snorkel instructors.

Remember if your teaching under 18s in the UK you must go through Safeguarding checks.

Overseas: I'm not aware of any other diving agency that teaches snorkel, cruse ships might be one area to consider.

Thanks for your input - I am thinking of contacting my local dive centre to see what they suggest - although sounds like the BSAC Public Liability insurance is a must!

I dont think you will find much employment as a snorkel instructor. You will need to continue your education and at least become ad divemaster or consider switching to a lifeguard or swim instructor.

I'm not sure about the swimming route, however, i'm definitely considering Divemaster ATM, but thats a thread for another day!

A girl who works with a shop I work with only does snorkeling tours and skin diving classes. We don't even have great local snorkeling and she still crushes it. She works with I think three shops in the area, one in St Pete, one in Sarasota and one in Venice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom