BVI vs Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to both the BVI and Cayman Brac. In the BVI, I was based out of Tortola. You do not have an all inclusive dive resort at Tortola as far as I know. Car rentals are not high though. There are quite a few nice restaurants on the island and some stores if you want to buy and prepare your own food. We used Dive BVI. Most of the divers were based on boats. We had to go around, pick them up, get their gear in order, and the paper work done. We were lucky to get in the water within two hours. Fishing pressure is high in the BVIs. I saw squirrel fish for sale in the local markets. So any fish that would take a bait and was of any size was absent. The Wreck of the Rhine is a great dive. There are some other very nice dives also.

Cayman Brac is less set up for tourists. You can rent a place and rent tanks and shore dive. One operator can guide you to shore dives. There are not too many restaurants on the island but there are some decent stores. I have always stayed at Brac Reef Resort. It is an all inclusive. They have good food. They have a very nice outdoors bar and a very good pool and nice grounds. The onsite dive operation, Reef Divers, is very good. They use good roomy boats: Newton 46. They do two morning dives: a deep wall dive and a shallow dive. They do a shallow afternoon dive too. And there is usually one night dive per week.

On the wall dives, the wall is usually 60 to 80 deep with 50 being about minimum. The shallow dives range from 50 feet to about 20 feet. You can dive the south side or north side weather permitting. I think the south side walls which are deep are better. You often see a reef shark or two on those dives. The Brac has large friendly Nassau grouper that often follow divers around. The dive masters kill lion fish and the grouper know it. You will see other species of grouper also. You will see angel fish, butterfly fish, schools of grunts, schools of horse eyed jacks, and many other reef fish. Also hawksbill turtles are common and often very approachable. You will see stingrays and probably eagle rays. The visibility is usually over 60 feet and often well over 100 feet.

The Brac has nice corals also including some very large pillar coral heads and some very nice elkhorn coral stands on the south side.

Topside, the Brac has some hiking, good bird watching including the Cayman Brac Parrot, biking and other activities. It is an out island so night life is rather limited.

I knew I could rely on you for a great reply :D thanks, will watch vids. We will be needing things to do after scuba.

My pleasure! By the way, there is a small spa at the CBBR and the prices are not bad and CBBR prices are in $USD. So that's another option if someone in your party would like to enjoy a massage or other spa services, but book early the appointments fill up fast.

Most of my Brac experience is with boat diving, Reef Divers, and the CBBR, but @vincent54 could give you information about staying at rental properties, shopping, restaurants, cooking, and shore diving.

Awesome. We opted not to go to CBBR due to cost. I do not do 3-4 dives per day anymore (package was 12 dives, I'll do 8 boat maybe 1-2 shore). We are diving with Scuba Shack, and I believe it's @ carib sands resort, 2 properties from where we're staying. The rental we have is directly adjacent to the east of brac caribbean beach resort. My sister will probably do a spa day, so thanks for the info.

We are flying to Miami for like $11 pp w miles, With our half of the rental, scuba 4 days and 1/2 the rental car, I think we will be out 2900 without food where CBRR would have pushed me over 4200...

I have gotten away from AI bc more often than not I starve at them, I don't consider it edible. I hardly drink, so AI doesnt work for me, and I actually like to cook out, vacation does not matter. I like putting my own food on. So the rental works out great in my case. :)

Awesome. We opted not to go to CBBR due to cost. I do not do 3-4 dives per day anymore (package was 12 dives, I'll do 8 boat maybe 1-2 shore). We are diving with Scuba Shack, and I believe it's @ carib sands resort, 2 properties from where we're staying. The rental we have is directly adjacent to the east of brac caribbean beach resort. My sister will probably do a spa day, so thanks for the info.

We are flying to Miami for like $11 pp w miles, With our half of the rental, scuba 4 days and 1/2 the rental car, I think we will be out 2900 without food where CBRR would have pushed me over 4200...

I have gotten away from AI bc more often than not I starve at them, I don't consider it edible. I hardly drink, so AI doesnt work for me, and I actually like to cook out, vacation does not matter. I like putting my own food on. So the rental works out great in my case. :)

Sounds like you have a great trip planned and a bargain! Brac Scuba Shack has a good reputation.

I am not crazy about large AI resorts but CBBR is small and family owned and diver dedicated. The food is buffet style but very good (and the desserts are decadent) but cooking out on your own is always great!

Tell your sister that it is a small (only one employee!) spa but it is a nice experience. Have fun!

Published the vacation video this week.

Had a great trip...

Thanks for sharing, it looks like you had a fantastic trip both on Key West and Cayman Brac! I enjoyed hearing the Barefoot Man singing "Cayman Holiday" on your video; we plan to see him perform in a few weeks when we are on GC before heading to LC.

When were you on vacation? It looks like you had great weather! Where did you go for your "big night out?" there's not many choices!

How did you like the island of Brac? What did the others in your group think of it? Did your sister try the spa at CBBR?

It is too a big airport, they can handle jets - not many but a few - you should see the tiny airport on Little Cayman!

Here's an article about the Beth Shalom Temple, it looks lovely:
Waltons keep Jewish faith alive | Cayman Compass

And here is an article about shore diving on Brac, I am going to have to try the shore diving some time:
http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Travel_CaymanBrac_LawsonWood_60_locked.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks!

My Bro in Law did not want to do the 1 day journey to Key West. When we landed in Miami 8/18 we had a decision to make. I said “The reason we woke up at 3:00 am and hopped a 6:30 morning flight to Mia was to see Key West for a day (I’ll never vacation there). Plus I have seen Miami a million times. So off we went. 3.5 hrs each way, lunch in Largo, saw the Hemmingway House and the monument (which was destroyed in Irma!).

We arrived in Brac 8/19, picked up by Sasha, and taken to the house. House was a nice rental. With 3 BR, It is advertised for 6 adults but being that 2 of the bedrooms share a bath, its best for a couple with kids. No complaints of the house other than the excess of decor (too many chachkis) and hot water was virtually non existent. We made full use of the house from the private pool, the floating dock, the grill and of course that awesome frozen drink blender.

Brac Scuba Shack – can’t say enough good things about them. Martin and Liesel were so nice, and I loved the small groups. We dove 8/20, 8/21, 8/23 and 8/24. Unfortunately, I had no takers on a shore dive 8/25. Funny thing happened on dive #1 though. We were on a site (do not recall the name). Corals were spur and groove. Well my other half thought I was going to get us lost and left me to go be with the group instead of following me. I was the only one that saw the Caribbean Reef Shark come in! That will teach her. Seriously, how can you get lost with spur and groove? :facepalm:

8/23 we took the short jog to Little Cayman to see Bloody Bay. That was pretty awesome… 6000’ of depth and knowing we were close to the Cayman Trench was cool… That is 25200’ deep!

Weather held up for the most part, it rained a few times but mostly sunny hot and occasionally windy. The big night out was at Star Island – it was actually decent! Captains Table was not bad either, just pricey. We cooked in most days, but I did not mind that. Sis did not make it to the spa, but she normally would have done that if we all decided to go diving and she opted out.

George and Lynn were very nice and welcoming. We normally are not super religious, but we lost our father on 8/13, buried him 8/15, flew out 8/18. We were still in shock and still mourning. We had a nice trip considering the circumstances. The blender definitely helped. :)

I have tried for years to beat Cozumel as my favorite place outside of Texas and I can’t. We’re headed back there for the 2nd time this year and we went twice last year as well. December 8th, we should be into the eagle ray migration.

Having put together 2 scuba vacay vids this past month, I may motivate myself to finally put a video together for the 2013 Hawaii trip. Finding good music is the hardest part.

Published the vacation video this week.

Had a great trip...

Great video. I especially liked the face to face turtle towards the end.

I too have been looking for somewhere to come close to my favorite destination of Cozumel. My second favorite is a Turks and Caicos liveaboard, but so dang expensive.

Can you compare the diving of Brac vs Coz in terms of color, reef structures, and fish life? I'm sure abundance of fish life is less at Brac but how much so?

Great video. I especially liked the face to face turtle towards the end.

I too have been looking for somewhere to come close to my favorite destination of Cozumel. My second favorite is a Turks and Caicos liveaboard, but so dang expensive.

Can you compare the diving of Brac vs Coz in terms of color, reef structures, and fish life? I'm sure abundance of fish life is less at Brac but how much so?

Thanks!

The turtle was flanking me, then turned towards me… I was swimming backwards, and he kept coming until his beak hit the lens! In the original video, you can hear it. Lol

I’m not that impressed with Cayman diving in general to be honest. The best dives we did were the ones @ Bloody Bay. One thing I think is funny about Cayman diving is how the groupers want to be pet and played with. I was swimming along and I felt a nudge on my arm (thought it was my wife)… Nope, it was a grouper, asking to be played with.

There are different types of formations in Brac. We went on one dive that was spur and groove coral formations, others were walls, some were shallower sites spread across sand flats (unimpressive). Unfortunately, I could not get anyone on my trip to do a shore dive with me, so I can’t speak to that. In Brac, I consider it ‘no frills…” There’s no fancy resorts, fancy restaurants, nightlife, etc. Just a sleepy island made for scuba. Beach is virtually non-existent.

Does Brac, LC or GC compare to Cozumel? Not in my option, not even close. I could go as far as to say that I would normally not even mention them in the same conversation. Cozumel is far superior, I even like it better than Belize and Honduras.

And FWIW, my 2nd favorite place I have dived is Maui.

Back
Top Bottom