Why are weights so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand it, but even if you go to buy buckshot for reloading shotgun shells it is usually $2 plus per pound. And it isn't in a mesh pouch.
I am actually considering getting some mesh pouches and dumping shotgun shot into them, then stitching them up, since I have a good bit of old shells I can use.

It's my understanding that some dive weights are an alloy, so the market price of lead is only one factor. If you need a LOT of weights, you can buy lead in bulk, molds, and a melting pot and cast your own. But if, like most of us, you only need a few weights for personal use, the cost is what it is at the dive shop.
I need weights for 3 people so I have thought about that... but I would need a burner and iron melting bowl.

Buy some molds, buy lead at the best price you can find it and make your own weights. You just need a Coleman stove, a suitable mask(respirator) and an old saucepan.

Buy some molds, buy lead at the best price you can find it and make your own weights. You just need a Coleman stove, a suitable mask(respirator) and an old saucepan.

And really good gloves and safety glasses, and something to skim the dross and a ladle and you should study what happens if you dump some wet lead into your melting pot. I've poured well over 1000 lb of lead and if I needed only 60 lb I'd have probably just bought it. Pouring it is simple and fun and dangerous.

@prunefoot there's a Scuba Swap & Shop group on FB. I'm always seeing weights in it. You can fit a lot of weight in a USPS flat rate box. I'd suggest you look over there if you're on FB.

SCUBA gear Swap & Shop

I had to buy a 2-pounder in Florida and I paid something like 5 bucks for a shiny new piece, which is not much, and I paid around $20 for a coated 5-pounder in Maryland. But in Hawaii they asked more than $40 for a "naked" 5-pounder ($42.50, if memory serves). So it depends where you buy it.

Lead is actually cheaper than copper.

Where can yo get mesh bags. I have some large weights 6-10# that i wold likt to put in smaller mesh bags in usable weight sizes

Back
Top Bottom