sub-tropical drysuit undergarment choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shorts and a tee shirt but there is no way I would seal myself up in a airtight bag for water that warm, I would at most use a 3mil for the lower 70's and 1 mil at the upper range.

As pointed out in most of these "what should I wear" threads, cold tolerance is such an individual thing. Like @Rainer, I would freeze in what you wear. That's why I tried to give some examples of what is comfortable for me, and hope people can extrapolate some suggestions from that.

Diving steel doubles in this instance, so the drysuit is for redundant buoyancy (and, well, just to practice diving a drysuit and doubles). If I were diving a wetsuit in 75-78F water, I would use my 5mm and might even bring along a 3 mm hooded vest to layer in case the cold started setting in after a few dives. When diving wet, even on a summer day, a windy/cloudy surface interval can mean the difference between warming back up before the next dive and having to start the next dive already chilled. A drysuit in those conditions could be an interesting experience for me.

For diving dry in 76-77F water, I would wear athletic shorts and a long sleeve rash guard type of shirt. And thin wool socks, just to not have bare feet inside my suit. Assuming it's a relatively short dive (i.e. NDL).

You are not as cold tolerant as I am. I wear a 3/2 wetsuit down to 70 - 72 with no hood (again, for NDL dives).

So, for you, I would think you'd be pretty happy in a Xerotherm base layer. Or some ordinary medium weight long johns. Preferably, Merino wool, of course. :) If you're doing deco dives, them maybe just stick with your BZ200.

. . .

So, for you, I would think you'd be pretty happy in a Xerotherm base layer. Or some ordinary medium weight long johns. Preferably, Merino wool, of course. :) . . .

I think you're right. I'll probably get a medium-weight top and bottom baselayer from REI. My concern about the BZ200 is mainly the annoyance factor; a quilted jumpsuit is cumbersome compared with just a lightweight top and bottom, and I'll be drenched in sweat by the time I enter the water. The Xerotherm or similar dive-specific garment is a more expensive option, and it sounds like it may be so similar to the BZ200 in insulation that I might as well save the money. Also, it occurs to me that buying some medium-weight baselayer gives me the option of layering it under the BZ200 if I should decide to dive in colder water (for me, that means like California water) someday.

Yeah, if you're going to Mexico any time in the next few months, I don't think you'd be digging the surface time in a drysuit with a BZ200 underneath.... :)

Yeah, if you're going to Mexico any time in the next few months, I don't think you'd be digging the surface time in a drysuit with a BZ200 underneath.... :)

Good mosquito protection :wink: but seriously I do it every year, and see a lot of them on the drying rack at ZG. 3 hrs in the water you lose a lot of body heat.

That said for shorter dives you may be just fine in capilene-type undergarments. Worth a shot as it's a fairly inexpensive investment.

78? Thats just base layer territory ... I have a bunch of merino wool and UA thin layered that I use. More of a protective barrier between suit and skin that for warmth (at your upper end of temperatures)

_R

I bought a 250g fleece undergarment off ebay for Mexico cenotes. Seller makes these -

MEDIUM POLARTEC 1 LAYER UNDERGARMENT 250GR/SQM DARK GRAY-SM DIAMOND | eBay

I wore it with just a quick dry t-shirt underneath and found it perfect for 75 degree water. I did not find it too warm even with a 7mm hood (in fact, I was happy to have the thicker hood).

The only thing I disliked was that the pockets are made of the same material, which is really thick for that purpose. I ended up cutting them out and making the torso area smaller. I thought it was rather large for a medium but my perspective might be skewed because it is a male fit.

Also worth mentioning that in a wetsuit (5mm + 5mm hooded vest), I was cold. So that gives you an idea of my temperature tolerance.

I think you're right. I'll probably get a medium-weight top and bottom baselayer from REI. My concern about the BZ200 is mainly the annoyance factor; a quilted jumpsuit is cumbersome compared with just a lightweight top and bottom, and I'll be drenched in sweat by the time I enter the water. The Xerotherm or similar dive-specific garment is a more expensive option, and it sounds like it may be so similar to the BZ200 in insulation that I might as well save the money. Also, it occurs to me that buying some medium-weight baselayer gives me the option of layering it under the BZ200 if I should decide to dive in colder water (for me, that means like California water) someday.

So what did you end up getting? It looks like we have similar cold tolerance and I'm wondering what will work for me here in South FL :)

So what did you end up getting? It looks like we have similar cold tolerance and I'm wondering what will work for me here in South FL :)

I have been happily using REI fleece pants and a fleece sweatshirt in 74-78F water. That would be my choice for S. FL winter diving. Speaking of which, I have been itching to see those lemon sharks.

Back
Top Bottom