BC inflator flange repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@couv , Thank you for all the advice you have provided. The amount of options available is overwhelming with respect to all the nuances once can choose from.

Also the repair thread you linked to in a previous post was interesting as well. I may order a small tube of the 3m 5200 marine adhesive/sealant and see if that works to bond the flange in place on my BC....no loss if it doesn't work,

Thank you and everyone else for the advice/help.

-Z

@emoreira , Thanks for the suggestion of Scuba-Fix.

Although my BC seems to be in otherwise very good shape, at approx $85 USD for their kit (with shipping), I need to decide if it is worth investing that much in repairing a BC that I bought 3 seasons ago from a colleague. In that purchase I paid $175 for the BC, a Vyper 2 that my oldest daughter uses, and Suunto SK7 that my wife uses. With over 100 dives in that 3 season period, I think the BC has already paid for itself. In addition I may need to replace the elbow at an additional expense depending on whether or not Scuba-fix has a flange compatible with my current setup...this avenue has costs approximating the breaking point of whether it is worthwhile to invest time and money into this repair. Not ruling this avenue out entirely...it just begs for more scrutiny/evaluation due to the higher cost factor.

I am definitely going to replace it....just need to figure out which BP/Wing setup to get.

-Z

Last edited:
Zef - sorry those parts didn't work out. I've never seen a BC with a hole that big for the inflator. I think you are headed the right direction - without a screw-together type fix I think I would look at replacing as opposed to trying to repair. The material used in BCs in notoriously difficult to get adhesive to stick to.

Zef - sorry those parts didn't work out. I've never seen a BC with a hole that big for the inflator. I think you are headed the right direction - without a screw-together type fix I think I would look at replacing as opposed to trying to repair. The material used in BCs in notoriously difficult to get adhesive to stick to.

I second what Andrew said. The cordura used to make those bladderless BCDs is quite difficult to any type of adhesive to stick to. Original flanges are RF welded and the flange breaks. To replace the flange (if the rest of the BCD is more or less still usable) you need a sandwich type. The adhesive is just a filler to ensure air tightness.

Back
Top Bottom