Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Need to look into if that then is with or w/o the vis sticker.

Vis sticker is only a couple of dollars- $5 to $10, the better question to ask is if the tak is o2 clean for up to 40% oxygen, that is a better question to ask..

I usually don't agree with general blanket statement like this, but for high pressure metal container, yes, I won't either. Fror dive light, backplate, BC, or even regulation, maybe. But anything that can kill you, definitely not today. Not yet

Yes, I said in an earlier post above:

I wouldn't buy anything Chinese when it comes to an HP container.

We are dealing with CHEAP Chinese manufactured AND branded HP dive equipment here, it can't get worse than this!!

If you leave Chinese on their own to design, manufacture, inspect and deliver life support equipment (or anything) without a team of your own experts to monitor, inspect, audit, check and scrutinize what they do every step of the way including shipping, you are screwed royally!!

Their products are only and barely as good as your expert team's monitoring, inspection, auditing, checking and scrutinizing what the Chinese mfg. do throughout the entire process!!!!

Not that companies haven't tried to cheat worldside, or that the US of A didn't give Enron and Bernie Madoff to all of us...but Chinese companies put synthetic gluten on pet food to fake protein ratings, and killed pets. They put antifreeze(?) in toothpaste, and created a worldwide market poison problem. And there was another one with faked or contaminated drug products, something produced from pig organs IIRC maybe five or eight years ago.

Their record ain't the best. Not that it can't be good--but it hasn't been.

Even if it came with an "oxygen clean" rating and a Nitrox cleaned VIP sticker, I wouldn't want to be the first guy to fill it. And let's remember all the condemned Aluminum 80 tanks with neck stress crack issues that were made right here in the US of A.

China? There's just no need for it. Aluminum? There's just no need for it. Yeah, Alu tanks can be pretty. So can steel. And a steel tank will always wind up weighing less than a "same" Aluminum tank--with the lead it needs to make it negatively buoyant.

Divers gor sold on Alu80's back in the 70's because "Aluminum will never rust like steel does". Ah, we've learned a bit more about the bigger picture since then. Aluminum is CHEAP and if you are sloppy on the fills, right, it doesn't rust, and that's why the rental shops still like to use them.

DRIS has free shipping for orders over $75, and that includes tanks.

This is from my DRiS checkout when the only thing I have in my cart is 1 x Luxfer AL80.

• One or more items in your cart do not qualify for free shipping. Orders must be over $75 in the US and $500 for International. Single items over 40LB are excluded from free shipping.

Shop around locally. Some local shops may offer free fills (10 or up to a year) which will have a big effect on the value.
One of the LDSs I frequent has a deal on alum 80s. Prepay for 30 air fills at $6.00 per and they will give you a brand new tank complete with valve. Only extra is to pay for a viz. We got my wife's tanks this way.

Not that companies haven't tried to cheat worldside, or that the US of A didn't give Enron and Bernie Madoff to all of us...but Chinese companies put synthetic gluten on pet food to fake protein ratings, and killed pets. They put antifreeze(?) in toothpaste, and created a worldwide market poison problem. And there was another one with faked or contaminated drug products, something produced from pig organs IIRC maybe five or eight years ago.

Their record ain't the best. Not that it can't be good--but it hasn't been.

Even if it came with an "oxygen clean" rating and a Nitrox cleaned VIP sticker, I wouldn't want to be the first guy to fill it. And let's remember all the condemned Aluminum 80 tanks with neck stress crack issues that were made right here in the US of A.

China? There's just no need for it. Aluminum? There's just no need for it. Yeah, Alu tanks can be pretty. So can steel. And a steel tank will always wind up weighing less than a "same" Aluminum tank--with the lead it needs to make it negatively buoyant.

Divers gor sold on Alu80's back in the 70's because "Aluminum will never rust like steel does". Ah, we've learned a bit more about the bigger picture since then. Aluminum is CHEAP and if you are sloppy on the fills, right, it doesn't rust, and that's why the rental shops still like to use them.

buoyancy is better for aluminum tanks in some uses

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom