Gear recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so I'm new to scuba going to get certified in June and I need to get booties flippers a mask and snorkel any recommendations?

Only thing I'll comment is get a mask that fits you. Go in and actually do a fit check. I would take a $10 mask from Walmart that actually fits over a $150 mask that doesn't

Go to your local dive shop AND TRY THINGS ON, there is no right or wrong answer here. It's all about how a set of booties or FINS or a mask fits and feels to you. Are there some brands that some people prefer over others? Of course, but it's all about personal preference. Dive Gear is kind of like buying a car, it's all going to get you from point a to point b. Just like a honda civic will, of course there is the Bentley and the Range Rovers sitting out there for sale also, but those might not be as practical. Then again maybe you can swing the price of the higher end stuff. But if you are just starting out diving don't get caught up in the brand game. Stay economical for your means. Find what fits and feels the best and go from there.

Don't order dive gear offline until you know what you like and what fits you the best. Go to your local shop, try on several different brands, and go from there.

Best of luck to you on your OW class!!

get a cheap tube snorkel or a folding pocket snorkel you can stow away when not needed.

blade/paddle fins instead of split. maybe look for fins off CL, you can save a lot getting some used jetfins.

get whatever mask fits you best. frameless and low volume is a plus.

Go to your local dive shop AND TRY THINGS ON
I second this. You're bound to get overloaded with answers here. Just head to your local dive shop and tell them what you need, what kind of money you're willing to spend, and let a professional help get you fitted. Welcome to the family!

and let a professional help get you fitted.

LOL, I have been in enough dive shops to let ya know that just because someone works there, it does NOT make them a professional.

@Jburritt19 go to your local shops and try stuff on but come back with the info and throw it before the tribe. You will get a good consensus and you will also get outliers, but hopefully we can help you NOT spend $1500 on something that should actually be $700.

@Doby45 gave some sound advice. Take you LDS (local dive shop) guidance and report back here with it. If it's good you'll be told that, if it's bad you'll be told that too. I'm pretty new myself, but there are some very smart people here.

I would echo a lot of the information above with one caveat - you aren't qualified yet so don't spend a fortune.

The ones you must look at in person are:
1) Mask - the wrong mask will make diving a misery. Get the one that fits right irrespective of price (that might mean $15 instead of $50). The best mask is the one that fits.
2) Exposure protection - be it drysuit or wetsuit, you need to get the right cut of suit. Getting something that is a poor fit is a recipe for frustration and potentially cold dives. If a wetsuit is too tight it can be painful to wear whereas if it is too loose it flushes too much making you cold. The right size and cut (different manufacturers fit differently) matter a lot.

Now with fins, all of them work but some work better than others. Given that you haven't qualified yet, I would suggest something open foot and really cheap (you can always trade up if you find diving is really your thing)

Snorkel - buy something cheap (a simple foldable tube snorkel will suit).
Boots - buy something on the recommendation of the shop for the water you will be diving in (I would err on the thick side though - you can wear a thicker boot everywhere but a thinner boot will limit its use).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom