Rescue diver course questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm not sure if actual recommendations are allowed but that's what I am looking for. I have read many posts that the instructor can make this course as valuable as it should be; so would you be willing to share where you took your course if you really enjoyed it?

Second question/issue - my husband and I are older (near 60) - would this course be too challenging physically for us/me? I am a petite female diver. We both have just over 200 dives.

We are located on the east coast of the US but like traveling and are willing to go most anywhere.

Thanks!
Absolutely the best most comprehensive recreational Rescue Diver Course in Southern California and the Scuba industry worldwide. Held only once a year, the course is through the Los Angeles County General Hospital Emergency Dept/USC Hyperbaric Chamber on Santa Catalina Island, one of only two Recompression Chambers nationwide 24/7 and 365 days a year on stand-by solely for the treatment of civilian recreational dive accidents:

Emergency Response Diver > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/222/docs/ERD_General_Schedule.pdf

ERD Emergency Response Diver Course -USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

Course Synopsis

Only Knowledge, Skill, and Practice resolve them. You get all three from the Emergency Response Diver course. The Emergency Response Diver program focuses on practical field experience - what can and should be done at the scene of a diving casualty.

You will learn:

• The best way to handle a victim in the water.
  • How to administer effective CPR and first aid.
  • The techniques to use for beach and boat rescues.
  • How to make the best use of emergency oxygen.
  • How to efficiently manage the diving accident scene.
  • Specific methods for aiding victims of hypothermia, near-drowning, and other diving medical maladies.
erd1.gif

The Emergency Response Diver course is field-orientated. You'll spend most of your time at, near, or in the water practicing rescues; or in small groups mastering first aid, CPR, and emergency oxygen use. You'll learn how to direct people at a diving casualty scene, how to communicate effectively with rescue and emergency medical personnel (LA County Baywatch Paramedic Lifeguards and Catalina Recompression Chamber Crew), and how to coordinate transportation. You will apply what you learn in practical and realistic field simulations.

Continuing Education:
  • Certifications for First Aid, CPR, AED, Oxygen Administration, and Rescue Diver are included with the course.

Last edited:
@Jim Lapenta (western Pennsylvania) gives a rescue course that has received several glowing endorsements here on SB. I have no direct experience with it, tho'.

The reason I took the course is I had a scary shore dive and it was also a night dive to boot in Hawaii. I felt the rescue dive would not only make me feel more comfortable but more confident in my ability to help some one as well. I agree with the age, it's challenging but I think if you're a comfortable diver, and have a solid instructor you will do fine.

Below is my scary story.

My shore dive was very short due to strong waves that started to hit us. Getting out was the struggle and trying to come in with the wave sets were challenging. On top of it all, I had to hold my regulator in my mouth, count the sets, somehow get my fins off and walk out before another wave hit. We couldn't see the waves because it was night time but we could hear them crash on shore. Our shore line was about 40 feet, one side solid rocks and the other a wall. I was with 3 other strong divers and we were were all OK, and worked to help the ones that struggled. We did lose some equipment and finished the night with a beer to calm down. That was when I knew I needed rescue diver.

Your best bet is to speak to the shop or instructor where you are thinking of taking the course. If their requirements include "tow the victim 200 meters in the water in full gear" or "tow...a half mile..." you need to decide if you can do that. Whether the course is too demanding for you, will depend on what the instructor is required to do, and what they are willing to do, as well as the shape you both are in. I would submit that knowing how to provide aid, is a good thing in itself. Even if that means you aren't going to be able to chase somebody who's drifting away from a boat at sea. (You're not looking to get HIRED as a rescue diver, right?)

Your best bet is to speak to the shop or instructor where you are thinking of taking the course. If their requirements include "tow the victim 200 meters in the water in full gear" or "tow...a half mile..." you need to decide if you can do that. Whether the course is too demanding for you, will depend on what the instructor is required to do, and what they are willing to do, as well as the shape you both are in. I would submit that knowing how to provide aid, is a good thing in itself. Even if that means you aren't going to be able to chase somebody who's drifting away from a boat at sea. (You're not looking to get HIRED as a rescue diver, right?)
Good example of how courses may vary. Keep in mind also that people of various sizes, as well as ages, take the course. A tiny person may not be asked to drag a giant out of the water or up onto the pool side.

We took the Padi online Rescue class, then set up practical diving part during vacation cruise ship out of Boston three day stopover at Kings Wharf in Bermuda with Fantasy Divers. I was 53, not skinny, and slung that Stoic and Fearless Dive instructor over my back and hauled him up the beach. Dude deserves a Halo for trusting me to carry him, seriously.

Hah! I'd be pulling someone by their ankles, not slinging them over my back! :rofl3:

It depends on the instructor. I took my rescue course during my 30s. My instructor felt that most rescue situations come up near the end of a dive day when the victim is tired so he made us run up and down a flight of stairs several times in full gear before making our long surface swims. We had to make Fireman's carries across the beach and were physically drained by the time we wrapped up the beach sessions.
I know a woman who is close to 300 pounds who needs help with every aspect of her diving yet she passed her rescue course. I wish I could have been there to witness that.

Come to Indianapolis, IN and take it from Mike from the Bottoms Up SCUBA Indy shop. I just did the Rescue Diver pool skills today and it was awesome. I am young but he walked us through each part of it. Five out of five stars, hands down!!

Taking the Person to the Surface as Rescue diver
As the gas in the unconscious victim’s lungs begins to expand, it will look for an avenue of escape. That is why it is important to ensure that the victim’s head remains in a neutral position when the victim is unconscious. During the ascent, it is not recommended that you carry out any chest compressions. The primary focus should be on buoyancy control, keeping the mouthpiece of the regulator in place and properly positioning the victim’s head. Rescue of an Unconscious Diver Underwater - PADI IDC in Bali

Back
Top Bottom