Classes to become a better recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCNaiad

Dive babble all day long
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another thread I've been following brought up a tangential idea which I've been tossing around for a while so I figured it was a sign from the dive gods. :)

What classes can I take to become a better recreational diver?

Some background info:
  • I'm PADI AOW. However, I'm open to other agency recommendations.
  • I'm willing to consider classes that have specific gear requirements, but changing my beloved gear just for a class would only occur if the training were truly special.
  • I have a small PFO. Though I'm medically cleared to dive & have no history of DCI, I err on the side of caution & dive conservatively. Therefore, I know for a fact that I will never dive deeper than 130 ft. nor will I do any tech diving.
  • I do not want to become an instructor.
  • I'm based in nyc, but am willing to travel for training.

Take a trip to Mexico for a cavern class. The dives will be shallow, the caves are spectacular, and you will come away with a basket of skills which you will use on every dive you do in the future.

UTD offers the Extreme Scuba Makeover, its probably the best bang for buck course for a rec diver looking to up their game. One day in the pool, no gear changes required. It will get you neutral, trimmed, and get you doing frog kick, helicopter turns and back kick. For someone as concerned about the environment as you are, the environmentally conscious propulsion is worth the price of admission.

Essentials of Rec will do more of the same, but there will be an additional focus on ascent techniques, balanced rig etc. There is going to be more focus on gear, as long as you aren't diving anything unsafe you should be ok. Think of it as Fundies but more accessible for a rec diver.

On the PADI front, PPB is good, probably the best for dive skills but very instructor dependent.

Solo diver courses can be very useful in terms of skills and mindset enhancement, even if you don't plan to dive solo at any point.

You might look into a Fundies class. Find an instructor that hasn't drunk the kool-aid and just wants you to be a better diver. They are out there.

It's impossible....

Every diver wants to become a cave & technical diver..... :stirpot:

I'd suggest specifically addressing your desires to an instructor. Since you are in NYC, perhaps reaching out to @Trace Malinowski who is out of the Poconos. I bet he could tailor a "boot camp" for you. @Jim Lapenta comes to mind too. Do you need a card, or just want to be a better diver?

You might look into a Fundies class. Find an instructor that hasn't drunk the kool-aid and just wants you to be a better diver. They are out there.

I had looked into this before & it seemed really interesting, but the gear changes made me leery.

It's impossible....

Every diver wants to become a cave & technical diver..... :stirpot:

I'd suggest specifically addressing your desires to an instructor. Since you are in NYC, perhaps reaching out to @Trace Malinowski who is out of the Poconos. I bet he could tailor a "boot camp" for you. @Jim Lapenta comes to mind too. Do you need a card, or just want to be a better diver?

I think you read my statement above a little too quickly. I do not want to become an instructor, but I appreciate the suggestion. And to answer your question, I don't care about a card so much as just becoming a better diver.

I think you read my statement above a little too quickly. I do not want to become an instructor, but I appreciate the suggestion. And to answer your question, I don't care about a card so much as just becoming a better diver.

No, I think you read my answer too quickly. Where did I say become an instructor? I said talk to one, (specifically I said, "addressing your desires to an instructor"), so as to possibly tailor some instruction...

No, I think you read my answer too quickly. Where did I say become an instructor? I said talk to one, (specifically I said, "addressing your desires to an instructor"), so as to possibly tailor some instruction...

Oh, ha ha ha! Yes, I did read your answer too quickly. Oops. That's an interesting answer. I never thought about working with an instructor to do my own tailored training. I've heard of that for tech, but never thought about it for rec. Why did you suggest Trace Malinowski & Jim Lapenta specifically?

Some of the best training I scheduled for my son and myself a few years ago was a course of instruction that did not lead to any certification with any agency. Andy Davis (@DevonDiver) provided a "Principles of Tech Diving" course in the Philippines. There have been certifications since then, but that course set the fundamentals and foundation to build upon.

Find an instructor, discuss your goals, see if you are in agreement with the end result. There is no pass and no fail...just development of skills and understanding.

Back
Top Bottom