Chubby cheeks, Problem sealing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa mc

Reaction score
I recently passed my padi open water and enjoyed it so much I started the padi adventure and rescue. My husband couldn't understand what the attraction was so I encouraged him to do an open water. He really enjoyed the pool work but had a few problems getting the right mask. Eventually he found a mask which fit but the nose always had a small amount of water in. He could do all the mask clearing and removal no problem in the pool. We have just been to Oban diving and once my husband had the hood on with his dry suit his mask kept on leaking. The hood pushed his cheeks up and the mask was no good. He tryed numerous masks and hoods but nothing worked. Once the hood was on and the mask in place he could not move it. He could not do a mask removal or clear the mask because of his cheeks. He is not a big man about average size but has chubby cheeks. Even a larger hood was pushing his cheeks upward. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution? Also even when the mask was in place as soon as he put his reg in, his cheeks moved and his mask filled. Is there any type of mask you can recommend? My husband enjoyed himself so much he does not want to stop diving due to his cheeks. Please help.

Hi Lisa,

I, too, have a round little face and the same problem your husband has. I have learned to live with a small amount of water int he nose pocket over the years, in fact, I don't even notice it anymore. I have never found a mask that sealed perfectly, but some are better than others. I have had good luck with the SCUBAPRO Frameless and also the SCUBAPRO Focus styles. Oceanic also makes a very small frameless style mask that I would like to try, as it is smaller than the SCUBAPRO version. The best advice I have is to just keep on trying out masks until your husband finds one that works for him! Certainly don't give up on diving over this little inconveneince! Good luck!

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I first purchased a hood - the opening for the face was so small it would push the top of my mask down and ruin the seal. The solution was to trim the hood with a pair of scissors so that the face opening was larger - not sure if this would help or not.

regards

I must hold my hand up to this one, I am the culprit.
The majority of my problem is what I would call laughter lines, the crease I get with the hood and regulator in runs from the corner of my mouth to just above my nostral / nose. I to don't mind a little water around the nose and could cope with this in the pool, however when I put the hood on it made it ten times worse. I've tried trimming the hood, but if I trim it any more I may as well be wearing a skull cap:).

I loved the time I was under the water but I constantly had to hold the mask on my face to stop the water entering it.

Is it possible to have a custom mask moulded to your face. I know this would make it more expensive but it would make me 100% more confident and I could enjoy my dive.

Thank yous all in advance.

P.s, I have been lurking this board for a couple of weeks now and can honestly say it has helped me no end.

Thank you's all,

Marc

how about wearing a hood??

as someone with big cheeks the only hood i found to work and feel great allowing me to feel comfortable so far has been the henderson hyperstrecth hood its warm and like elastic so it conforms and moves easy with your movment and fit good

Trying to find the same solution ...even tried so far the Atomic venom frameless .. leaked at my nose and if I smile even worse .. the sherwood HD .. same problem but a bit less leak .. so far a panoramic from Cressi and a splendive (an old one) seems to have better success to keeping the seal if i smile but will try a Tusa and some other masks (maybe the Mares one vision etc) to see if I can at last find the good fit to have a dry mask when diving otherwise if some water at the nose, at the minute I look up I have it going it my nose and throat

I've got the same smile lines problem. Water comes in when I equalize on descent. I found a $30 Cressid Panoramic mask off Amazon was the best fit, even though it still leaks some. The popular low volume, frameless masks don't fit me at all.

@Joel Perron just saw a Cressi Panoramic has been decent for you, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom