7 missing divers - Jupiter - all found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get the difference. Sry.

notice the posting times... The only thing there was "missing" (post #1) when I replied, and at the same time I posted re: link of missing says found (thankfully), more information was populated on the page.....

It was a few years back. My one and only trip to Jupiter. Don't recall the name. I just know it wasn't called Emerald.

What charter was this?
I am focused on no flag part

All boats in this area require each diver to have an SMB - even if it's just a sausage (which is worthless IMHO in all but totally calm sea states). Shooting one from depth is something I consider a courtesy to the captain - they have a chance to at least note your location well in advance of your surfacing while they are corralling other surfaced divers (plus the added bonus to let other boats know you are down). Dive teams tend to get split from the 'group' and this typically isn't an issue - everyone is being pulled in the same direction and bottom time is usually 50-60 minutes. Other than picking up the 'sprinters' who aren't content with drifting and have burned through their gas, everyone surfaces fairly close together along the same line. If there is an in-the-water guide, they typically will pull a buoy. There is only 1 charter that I have used that requires each buddied team to pull a buoy (overkill in my book but you should never have an issue with losing the location of your customers) but they operate further south

^ Yes, I know all this, and practice it as well.
I was asking which charter in Jupiter doesn't have at least one bouy'ed flag.

I know a number of folks on this charter. They were on rebreathers. Following hot drop rebreathers sucks at best and the divers don't know they are lost, so they aren't as quick to shoot a bag as the captain wishes they were. Kudos to the Captain for calling for help as soon as he got to worrying about them, too many captains say to themselves "I'll just look for 10 more minutes". Plenty of time for disaster.

So Wookie - what is the protocol on this type of dive? In a situation such as this with a planned drift, do rebreather divers plan in advance with the captain...exact surface time, etc?

I agree with you...good call on the part of the captain. Discretion was the better part of valor.

...I am focused on no flag part...
In many world class dive locations, the Dive Master does not enter the water carrying/pulling a dive flag.{Cozumel, Galapagos, Coco's, etc, etc} They shoot an SMB towards the end of the dive. Jupiter is very advanced diving and some deep dives are not for everyone. A diver may want to choose a different venue with alternate procedures and shallow dives, that use a flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom