Image is really red underwater with red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An expensive filter purchased on eBay produced the same bad results that you got. It may have been intended to be used at deeper depths. A cheap filter produced great results at depths if 10 to 35 meters. That filter was orange colored.

What's best to invest in? A light or filters ? And always filming in 4K protune or no protune ? What's your best setup :)?

A friend of mine and buddy bought a cheap chinese red filter for his GoPro. The first time he used it was in saltwater at a depth of 20 meters. The videos and photos taken were way too red and dark, because not only the redish, but also the thick plastic also filters too much light.
After that we compared his red filter with my original Intova red filter and his is too much red. Photos and videos were unrecovable.
Go with the original or a good brand. Do not save a few dollars with a cheap red filter. Your memories will be ruined.

I used these filters (Amazon) for my GoPro 4 Silver and Veho Muvi K2. For US$7, it surprisingly effective. I have the Flip for the GoPro but no one makes filters for the K2. The gel filters go inside the housing. They're a little too large for the K2 case so I carefully trimmed it. The only drawback is you have to open the case if you want to change the filter, but it's not likely you'll change the filter during a dive.
51OL%2BAKceBL._SX425_.jpg

I had a GoPro brand red filter (rated 15 to 70ft) which worked great on multiple dives to depths of 100ft. I lost it snorkeling and purchased a cheap red filter at a dive shop on Roatan. The cheap filter appeared darker than my GoPro brand but I didn't think any of it. My first dive using the cheap filter produced a very dark red video (editing the video could not fix it). I agree, you get what you pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom