Best and Worst Courses??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's tough. There is not a single course that I regret taking. Probably my OW course was my worst but was necessary to get me in the water and then the AOW to truly make me a diver.

After that, they have all served their purpose. The course that made me a safer diver, Solo. The course that made me a more thinking diver, Advanced Nitrox. The course that most refined my diving skills, Cavern and Intro to Cave.

Last edited:
I know UW Naturalist, Fish ID, and similar often take a beating as they don't offer any sort of traditional diving skills. However, they do offer knowledge. I'm not equipped to teach either of those courses, but I am encouraging a 14 year old student whom I recently certified in OW who plans to study marine sciences to seek out a good instructor for that, as it is relevant to her interests and future studies. Heck, I think I should take Fish ID in my local area, so I get better at spotting critters and showing them to new students who get excited from seeing different life. Now that I thought of the benefit of taking such, I will.
There's usually a lot more to see in lakes than "pretty much nothing but crawfish scooting along the bottom." or "This was in a freshwater quarry, so only got to see bluegill, largemouth bass, crappie, and channel catfish".
And while I would call "fish ID" useless, "UW naturalist" sounds a lot more interesting (didn't look at the course descriptions).

I'll explain...
Recognizing a pike (I think that's the name? these guys https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Esox_lucius1.jpg/1200px-Esox_lucius1.jpg ) is all but complicated. You find a long fast fish in a lake, 99% sure it's them. Finding them, getting close for photography, or even better finding them as they hunt (and feed), is a lot more complicated.
Getting the name wrong is a lot less troubling to me than understanding what the fish does, why, how, and most importantly: how to avoid disturbing it too much.

In my opinion, the best classes to perfect skills would be:
- GUE fundies
- probably UTD/ISE/whichever other equivalent to GUE fundies
- a personalized class (let's call it coaching) with some of the instructors that offer it (Steve Martin, or guys like Andy Davis as well). If you're there for the skills, screw the card.

Worst class if you want to perfect your skills is probably something along the range of fish ID.

Classes that I've done that were pointless and where I did not learn a thing:
- Nitrox
- "Advanced adventurer". Well technically it's wrong, I did learn something there: some people believe you need a lot of training to use tables and were surprised I could do it when I had never seen a table before that course. Often the same people believe you need to have tables with you for when your computer dies, without considering that no computer = no depth/time.

Now surely it depends on the instructor for "AOW", but nitrox is just pointless and definitely a steal imo. Should I ever find the time and location to become an instructor, it'll be included in my OW course (although I might put a slightly larger price on it because of the gas and fees).

Oh, and a class I really would like to do but most likely will have to learn by myself: Search and recovery. But that's because I want to get the crap out of the lake, so learning to properly use a lift bag could be useful, most likely not that complicated, but screwing it up in a solo dive doesn't sound too appealing.

My worst class was open water due to my instructor. Looking back on it he rushed us through the whole thing and didnt teach anything very well. To top things off it took a year and several calls to PADI to get my certification. I found out after several months of him making excuses and then completely ignoring my calls that his instructor certification had ran out and he never renewed. It was a very frustrating process. I ended up taking a refresher course after I finally got my certification card in and learned a lot. This weekend I am taking my Advanced Open Water course with Atlantic Pro Divers out of Jacksonville. I hope I will fair better with this course.

NAUI DM with competent instructors that didn't do it from flash cards. In the end though, classes and training are fine but it's in a way like a 22 year old getting a mechanical engineering degree and going into the field thinking he's been there and done that. Nothing replaces decades of experience but unfortunately, you have to get old to say that.

As well, you have to be willing to recognize and correct bad habits - on your own.

Without a doubt the best class was Rescue - it can be a physically and mentally demanding glass, especially if you get a great instructor, but also incredibly rewarding. I felt it gave me a stronger level of awareness and some useful insight to problem solving. It took my diving to the next level.

Never really had a worst course.

I forgot about Rescue. Perhaps because it's kind of a given on SB that everyone should take it. Kind of like what I said about the DM course in that it makes you work on skills you hopefully will never need. So I guess it adds safety skills as opposed to improving basic dive skills.

Best course you can ever take? Rescue, hands down. Learning how to manage stressful situations is so valuable.

After that, probably PPB (buoyancy) just to hone your skills, although a good mentor can really help here as well.

Worst course? Any course you take because you are talked into it by someone with a vested interest in getting your money. That and any course you don't actually need. By the end of AOW and Rescue, you should at least have an idea whether you "need" a course or not, IMO.

There's usually a lot more to see in lakes than "pretty much nothing but crawfish scooting along the bottom." or "This was in a freshwater quarry, so only got to see bluegill, largemouth bass, crappie, and channel catfish".
And while I would call "fish ID" useless, "UW naturalist" sounds a lot more interesting (didn't look at the course descriptions).
I think you quoted the wrong person.

Peak buoyancy, propulsion would be good as stand alone courses even if covered in OW or AOW. Night/low vis, navigation, deep, wreck and underwater photography would be useful.

Fish ID seems a waste.

For a full course- Rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom