Beginner Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking at getting into videography on my dives. I'm looking for recommendations on equipment. I'd like to stay under $1,000 for my initial startup to learn the ropes. I'm considering the GoPro Hero 5 with a tray and a single light (something like this) or the SeaLife Micro 2.0 Pro 2500. Any tips or advice on these two models or completely different setups are appreciated. I've also heard the Sony X3000 shoots excellent video but I don't believe there is a viewfinder and that concerns me. All feedback is welcome and encouraged.

Last edited:
For $24 over your budget, I'd add a 2nd Venom light. Normally the GoPro 5 shoots 170 degree FOV video. The light has 100 degree output (\which is actually quite good) so you'll see a dark circle in your video since the camera is seeing a broader area than the light can illuminate. Two spaced properly eliminates a lot of that.

The only limitation with the GoPro is they're fixed focus and no zoom. OK for your first setup but I personally like having both. Of course I've also got $3500 in my rig.

For $24 over your budget, I'd add a 2nd Venom light. Normally the GoPro 5 shoots 170 degree FOV video. The light has 100 degree output (\which is actually quite good) so you'll see a dark circle in your video since the camera is seeing a broader area than the light can illuminate. Two spaced properly eliminates a lot of that.

The only limitation with the GoPro is they're fixed focus and no zoom. OK for your first setup but I personally like having both. Of course I've also got $3500 in my rig.

Thanks! Now I've gotta know, what's your setup consist of?

I'll be diving some of the cenotes in Mexico. I know the GoPro isn't great for low light video. How does the Sony X3000 do with low light?

One of these - Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite II | Amphibico Recreational

plus a Sony HDV camcorder I paid way too much for right after it was introduced.

Just for your reference. I just modified Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO HD for Sony CX900 (AX100). It just need couple convertors for control and monitor which you could get on the net. And you will need Flat Port since AX100 is wide angle already. It shows black circle with original 0.55X wide lenz.

I haven't seem anyone did that before. But it really works now.

Last edited:
Two lights are highly recommended. When I first starting video I started with one light. Even with a wide angle light there was always the crescent shaped shadow. So, go with two wide angle lights. It is well worth it. I also recommend using a tray for videoing. It will help with stability.

Could I get a mfr./model # from you for the control converter? thx.
Two option to connect original "LANC" in the housing to CX900 "Multi Port" .
Option1
Aputure Lanc 2 Multi Adapter Cable for DEC E-Mount (Easy way)

Option2
Lanc 2 A/V + A/V 2 Muilti
Sony LANC Adapter Cable - AV/R Pro LANC 10 pin Adapter Cable 2.5 mm to D connector Video Audio

And you will need a HDMI 2 AV converter for internal LCD monitor (Or you have external LCD already). But Amphibica LCD monitor pixel is smaller than output singal (720 * 576). So you would only see partcial image on the monitor (Not perfect but still good for you to picture)
RCD3015 converter

I'm pretty suprised that it seems like Amphibico dosen't know their current housing could take AX100 (CX900).

Thanks, I knew about the 2nd solution but the Aperture product is much easier and cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom