Mosquitoes on west side beaches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all!

Since we are on the discussion of mosquitoes, have there been any reports of Zika on the Island? We have a trip planned for October, but I just found out that we are pregnant and I am little worried about this. Thanks.

One of the latest discussions here - Zika in Cozumel. If you search on zika cozumel there are others.

I was hoping for more up-to-date first hand information. The CDC site says not to travel to Mexico, not broad at all, and the linked thread is dated. I was actually following that thread last year when everything was happening.

Well, the CDC link is from 2 months ago. In general it says :"Because Zika virus is primarily spread by mosquitoes, CDC recommends that travelers to Mexico protect themselves from mosquito bites(https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/avoid-bug-bites).". And it does say that pregnant women should not go. They will err on the side of caution. People I know in Cozumel say it is there and have known somenone who had it. This could just be rumor mill. I have seen Mexican media reports say it's there but ran across one that said in early 2016 that Qroo was zika free. What to believe?

Cozumel or Qroo medical professionals are not going to post on SB. Just about everything else will be anecdotal.

We have gone to Cozumel when the bird flu was going around and didn't get it. I worked in South America and Africa and didn't get ebola, dengue, yellow fever, malaria, white leprosy or other nasty diseases. But I know those who did.

Sorry if this sounds harsh or argumentative (long day) but I suspect no one here will tell you go or no go. It's your baby.

Friend and her family just got back from PR - her daughter may have picked up Zika (99% sure) and it is bad stuff. Take 40% deet spray and don't mess around! I am like a buffet for the stupid things, they just love me so I spray or don't go out much when they come out lol!

Last I heard there is officially no such thing as Zika in Cozumel, then again I spoke with 3 friends last fall who live on the island and all got it during a widespead outbreak around September. I haven't heard of any since. There is also Dengue fever which took the life of a local artist I knew early last year. There are also reports of chikungunya. All of these viruses are spread by the same mosquitoes and are common thruout the Caribbean, tropical North and South America, the US gulf coast and Southern USA.
I think the key to whether the virus is in a given area is if it is tested for. Florida was claiming there was no such thing as Zika in the tourist areas last fall until it looked like federal money would be available. Once funding was in the wind they started testing and documenting the widespread presence Zika. I think most areas that depend on tourism discourage testing and reporting.
I live in North Texas and several years back my zip code was ground zero for the West Nile virus (same mosquitoes), later we found that our higher rate of virus reports compared with the surrounding counties was due to a more honest testing and reporting system as opposed to an actual higher rate.
That being said if you use deet you should not be in a great danger. The key is to use deet and close the screens on your windows.

FYI, just returned from 6 days at the Allegro. A few small bites (not even sure from mosquitoes) and no real issues using skin so soft and a bug repelling bracelet. That said, a pretty good amount of rain fell the day before we left, and there was standing water in a lot of places, so if they are going to get worse, they may do so now.

Reactions: MMM
West coast of Cozumel was a problem for me mosquito-wise. I am very allergic to them so I am also very conscious about them and notice the mosquito situation everywhere I go.

I wore InsectShield apparel (manufactured applied permethrin during production or 20% picaridin (as good as DEET 30%-99%) the entire trip and was fine. You can get permethrin for self-treatment on clothing but it does not work nearly as well or last as long as the one that is done during manufacturing.

The one time I got eaten alive was when I was in a rash guard by the dive shop. It rained and I was under the eaves - I got attacked within a few minutes. As I said, I'm super sensitive and allergic to them so I suffered. I also attract them. Bring lots of your anti-mosquito arsenal. (I went in September.)

Back
Top Bottom