KISS Sidekick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

306dive306

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this topic has been explored already but I tried finding it and was not able to.

I know NOTHING about rebreathers but would like to make an informed decision when buying my first CC RB and I prefer the idea of getting a manual RB.

1) What is the KISS Sidekick's maximum depth??
2) Is this a RB that can be used for dives up to 100m (300fsw)?

Basically, I'm looking forward to buying a "jack of all trades" type of RB and definitely appreciate you guys' input.

Cheers, mates!

1. It's depth limited by whatever computer is on there since rebreathers are at ambient pressure. Technically it is limited by the O2 capped regulator, but if you swap to a needle valve you have no depth limit.

2. if you set it up correctly there is no reason you can't dive it to 100m.

call Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers, he's doing a lot of big dives on that unit and will be able to guide you a bit better.

Leaky valve rebreathers such as the KISS family function by flowing a certain mass of oxygen through a fixed orifice. The increase in gas density as the diver goes deeper is compensated by keeping the intermediate pressure of the regulator constant. Since the fixed IP of the regulator is ~140psi or about 10atm the KISS orifice will stop flowing gas at about 300 ft. You can swap it out for a needle valve which would allow you to go deeper.
I have serious doubts about the sidekick's scrubber efficiency at that depth. If you are thinking about a bailout rebreather to just get you safely up that's one thing but I would not attempt a 300ft+ dive on one.

Leaky valve rebreathers such as the KISS family function by flowing a certain mass of oxygen through a fixed orifice. The increase in gas density as the diver goes deeper is compensated by keeping the intermediate pressure of the regulator constant. Since the fixed IP of the regulator is ~140psi or about 10atm the KISS orifice will stop flowing gas at about 300 ft. You can swap it out for a needle valve which would allow you to go deeper.
I have serious doubts about the sidekick's scrubber efficiency at that depth. If you are thinking about a bailout rebreather to just get you safely up that's one thing but I would not attempt a 300ft+ dive on one.

there were some seriously deep dives done on the KISS rebreathers by Brett Hemphill so I'd imagine the scrubber would be fine at 100m since he's taken them down that deep before. Not sure about the sidekick in particular, but he's taken other models from KISS that deep. I know of the Sidekick going into the 270's in cave country, but not sure about deeper than that. Key at those depths is to use a DPV instead of kicking though

there were some seriously deep dives done on the KISS rebreathers by Brett Hemphill so I'd imagine the scrubber would be fine at 100m since he's taken them down that deep before. Not sure about the sidekick in particular, but he's taken other models from KISS that deep. I know of the Sidekick going into the 270's in cave country, but not sure about deeper than that. Key at those depths is to use a DPV instead of kicking though
Yes Brett Hemphill has exceeded my comfort tolerance numerous times.

Yes Brett Hemphill has exceeded my comfort tolerance numerous times.

yeah, I'll agree with you that the sidekick wouldn't be my first choice of SMCCR's for that depth. If I was going that deep regularly, I'd look at the Flex or the new Liberty Sidemount unit. Both have larger radial scrubbers which is nice for WoB at depth

yeah, I'll agree with you that the sidekick wouldn't be my first choice of SMCCR's for that depth. If I was going that deep regularly, I'd look at the Flex or the new Liberty Sidemount unit. Both have larger radial scrubbers which is nice for WoB at depth
Agreed, nothing against KISS but right tool for the job and KISS are meant to be shallow water rebreathers.

300 feet is right near the cutoff of most stock mCCR units. From my limited experience I have found most KISS units are good out of the box for anywhere from 250 to 300 feet. This is due to a combination of the oxygen flow rate through an orifice at a given IP and the divers metabolic rate under various conditions. These are all things learned and discussed in class. I have had the Sidekick to just below 350 feet swimming in a cave and WOB was not one of the issues I encountered. Not anymore than most other units on the market currently. If you are not a primary cave diver I would suggest a backmount unit. If you are an experienced diver who realistically plans to go below 300 feet I would look at an electronic unit. Meg or JJ would be my top choices. If you are a cave diver and really think you need a sidemount CCR, this is a fantastic choice. People get wrapped up in what they may do one day instead of what they will do today. Food for thought. Dive all seriously considered units then make an informed decision.

Back
Top Bottom