Do seals bite scuba divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to add on. I don't think I could ever be afraid of a harbor seal. I guess if they really wanted to, they could probably **kill** a scuba diver -- its their turf and they are much more comfortable in it. But they are just too damn cute, and they are smaller than me, so I have nothing but flowers and pink hearts for harbor seals. Plus attacks are just so rare.

However, sea lions do seem more menacing to me, even if attacks are just as rare. They can grow bigger than me. And their interactions don't seem friendly to me. Ive only been buzzed by sea lions, often very closely, and one time my buddy was stared down by one. But they seem to be laying claim to turf and letting you know that they are the boss. If a sea lion ever stared me down like it did my buddy, I might end up doing an imperfect warhammer maneuver right there.

I don't even want to think about leopard seals. I understand those dudes are really aggressive.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread, no seriously- every rare moment of unexpected adrenaline filled sealion interaction I've enjoyed and all that cuteness has been destroyed, shredded like that poor guys gut.

There's an island off the coast here with big bulls that no one I know of dives near - I've played with a semi resident teenager in the early hours of dawn after night watch...and he's so goddamn cute and adorable and now I'm gonna look at him next time he shows up in a whole new light - with one eye firmly on the shady mofo :D

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your contributions.

The dive operator responded to my question about whether it was safe to dive with these New Zealand fur seals and pointed me to a website where they have been doing this for 20 years without an issue (Seal Swim Kaikoura - A totally unique experience) and told me that they have a marine mammal permit which includes penniped interactions.

Apparently these New Zealand fur seals, unlike their close relatives, are safe to dive with.

Regards,

Bert

Harbor seals sometimes attack in a different way.

I hope that diver at least got dinner and a movie out of that.
Maybe a call the next morning.

I hope that diver at least got dinner and a movie out of that.
Maybe a call the next morning.

Yeah ... they're like dogs ...

IMG_2326-2.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most of my interactions with fur seals have been like this video (Not my footage I'm sorry to say, though I am acquainted with Alan) - seals are usually more inquisitive than aggressive.

However while doing the exact site in the video below two years ago, I encountered a bull who was standing his ground against me and my buddy and was snorting bubbles at us which I'm led to believe is a territorial display behavior. Realizing that we were blowing bubbles right back at him (not a good idea but unavoidable on open circuit gear) we backed off and had no issue.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what they capable of dishing out if provoked however..

The whole video is worth a look but the seals are at 1:52 onward.

I've never been lucky enough to see a seal (yet) but I'm starting to think maby it should be me, to bite it.

I've dived a dozen times or more with sea lions. the elder ones seem to generally stay on the rocks, but the juveniles come out to play, swim around you, check you out. I had one that liked to put his teeth gently on your head, like a puppy might do. Not a 'bite', more of a playful activity. When getting too close to some of the young ones (or they were getting too close to me- being much better swimmers than I), a daddy sea lion came up to me, put his face inches from mine and barked at me. Which, I thought was a pretty measured response on his part. So, they seem to be pretty friendly for wild animals. Mostly, they have no intention of hurting you. Of course, they have the capability, and just like people, or dogs... some might be mean. Clearly, you're not food to them. let them come to you. and... don't grab them.

It's amazing how much like dogs they are. I like dogs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom