Diving shorts w/pockets or strap on thigh pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with the scubapro pocket shorts and I like them. I got tired of clipping off my SMB/spool to my butt D-ring. They are pretty thin (1mm?) and they slide over my 5mm or 3/2mm suit relatively easy. I will say I wish the pocket was a little bigger, but the pockets do stretch a little bit. I am able to fit my SMB and spool in one pocket.

Thanks for the feedback - it looks like the shorts are the overwhelming preferred choice.

I dive with the scubapro pocket shorts and I like them. I got tired of clipping off my SMB/spool to my butt D-ring. They are pretty thin (1mm?) and they slide over my 5mm or 3/2mm suit relatively easy. I will say I wish the pocket was a little bigger, but the pockets do stretch a little bit. I am able to fit my SMB and spool in one pocket.

I don't want to use shorts with pockets. I was debating between smb/spool bungeed to the bottom of my wing vs. clipped to the bottom of my wing. What did you not like about clipped to your butt D-ring ? I dive warm open water.

I don't want to use shorts with pockets. I was debating between smb/spool bungeed to the bottom of my wing vs. clipped to the bottom of my wing. What did you not like about clipped to your butt D-ring ? I dive warm open water.

Mostly just issues on the boat. Sat on it, ouch, the bungee that secures the SMB came off one day without me knowing (I'm guessing it got caught on something when I stood up?) and was dragging behind me, luckily the mate spotted it before I splashed. I'm a goofy guy, so I'll find a way to make an a$$ of myself. I just feel like it's a non-issue if it in my shorts, it's out of the way.

I also thought running a bungee at the bottom of the plate, but went with the shorts instead.

I just feel like it's a non-issue if it in my shorts, it's out of the way.

Always a good practice. If only we could get politicians to follow this policy....:)

Tobin

Last edited:
I've been using the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket lately. Less storage than shorts, but one less thing to put on while getting ready.

I use the Apex Tech Shorts....they fit great, better than any other brand I have tried. They have multiple adjustment straps/velcros. They are pricey but well worth the cost.

Other cheaper brands fit very poorly.

Last edited:
I did not like the drawstring on the DGX shorts so I purchased Apeks shorts. I dive with a wetsuit in winter (and BP/W). But in the summer, I only use a rasher. I like the sold feel of the Apeks shorts and I have about 50 - 60 dives in them.

GJS

I first tried strap on thigh pockets. It was the worst piece of dive equipment I ever bought. Weirdly, if i cinched the elastic band tight over my wetsuit, they would gradually squeeze themselves off w every kick, but if i loosened them a bit, they would roll around my thighs. They had these loops with clips you'd put on your belt you could attach them too, but inevitably you'd forget to unclip when removing gear in water, which can create real problems. Now I use dive shorts and love em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom