First ocean open water, so disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I say anything, thank you to any one who reads this. Let me start off by saying I am an extremely new diver, I just certified on April 8, 2017. My boyfriend, son, and I had to make an unplanned trip to San Diego. So we decided to plan a guided dive at La Jolla Shores to get some practice for our trip to Thailand in June. My son was certified with me, but my boyfriend has roughly 20 dives under his belt. In any case, I have been dealing with some anxiety with diving, but I was really excited to go this morning, since I worked my butt off to get past it to certify. Extra, classes, the whole bit. We signed up to have a single instructor for the 3 of us to make it less stressful for me. We went this morning, and I had a little anxiety because it was not only my first ocean open water, but also my first cold water dive. I certified at The Crater in Utah, which is a hot spring dive. So, I almost wear myself out trying to get a 7mm wetsuit and hood on, which I've never worn. Other than suit and tank, I do have all my own gear because I'm really small and my boyfriend said it would help with my anxiety. In any case, I needed help making it past the breaks, by which time I was pretty tired. But I was glad I made it. So when it's time to start heading down, I realize I'm starting to feel claustrophobic. I can't catch my breath, so I come back up after about 3 feet. I tried it again, but I start getting more and more anxious because visibility is literally about a foot. After about 15 minutes I'm in full blown panic attack and in tears because I'm struggling so bad. My boyfriend and I decided to call the dive and the instructor continued with my son (who did awesome). I'm so incredibly disappointed in myself and I don't know how to get past it. They were really really supportive, and said I just tried too much new stuff at once. I completely agree with that, but I'm so upset with myself. Not only did I waste A LOT of money, but I couldn't get past 3 feet and I've been down almost 30. I really really love diving so far, but I don't know how to get past this block. Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. I have two weeks of diving planned in June and I don't want to let everyone, including myself down.

On my first dive ever I had to put on a 7mm wetsuit in 35C heat and 90% humidity. After that in the water I was short of breath and close to panic. It didn't happen fortunately. After that I learnt how to save energy in the preparation. So don't be disappointed, just go slowly, or improve fitness level.

Sounds like you are putting pressure on yourself to dive because your newly certified. There are lots of divers who will never dive in the conditions you described. So don't fell bad about a dive you didn't like.
You are going to Thailand. Been there diving and it was fantastic. Your in for a completly different experience. We went to Koh Tao for 22 days. Warm water - no wetsuit - or maybe a 2 or 3 mil shorty. If you are going to Koh Tao then look at Goodtime Adventures. They offer diving and many other sports. Rock Climbing Etc. If you want more info on Koh Tao send me a message and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. And enjoy the diving.

Yes, I imagine Thailand is like night and day. Years ago we were doing a "Pumpkin Hunt" dive here and one guy who didn't dive said "I only dive in warm clear water--'nuff of this stuff".

PADI's dive shop with the most certifications in a year is on the island of Koh Tao. Bans dive shop. Very small island. If i remember correctly there were 52 dive shops on the island.

Just an update to anyone who responded to my original post! I went on my trip to Thailand and was able to do 7 dives there. My experience was far better than I hoped for! The only issue I had with anxiety was with a little bit of current, and no one even realized it. Since I got back last week, I've gotten my Specialty Diver certification and my Perfect Bouyancy certification. I'm also taking part in the Master Diver Challenge at my local dive shop . So I guess what I mean to say, is thank you to everyone for all the kind words! I feel so much more confident in my diving, and we already have a couple of trips planned to dive in the Yucatán and Costa Maya. Thanks guys!

@Jackie W keep us up to date on your progress. Would love to hear you having a better second outing.

BTW I just spotted your profile pic - Scott Monument in Edinburgh if I am not mistaken. How did you like my home city?

I loved it! We both agree we should've stayed longer. Edinburgh is incredible. We are hoping to go back soon. I'm actually working on my dual citizenship for England, so we are making another trip of it! I found out on that trip that I'm grandfathered into the dual citizenship for an American Citizen Born Abroad while we were on that trip, so we are getting the paperwork handled for that. Oh darn, another reason to travel

Jackie,
You were trained in a warm water, (ok, it's hot water), no current, no surge, no shore entry, no marine life environment. The only thing SoCal and the Crater have in common is, well nothing.
Going from the Crater to a SoCal shore dive without pre planning can be a problem as you experienced.
Here would be my recommendation if you still plan on diving cooler waters and a 7mm. See if your instructor can put you in a pool and let you at least get accustomed to the suit.
Maybe forgo SoCal and head to Sand Hollow. Water temps are in the 50's so a 7mm will work. Visibility is starting to clear up.
If the draw to salt water and SoCal is still strong, my next recommendation would be to go to Catalina at least for day one and then consider a shore dives on the mainland the following day.

I got my perfect buoyancy cert yesterday at Crater and another dive master came along with our group just to hang out. Lynn (forgot his last name). Anyways, he was telling us about Sand Hollow, and there is a dive there in September I believe, through our dive shop, Neptune. So we may be going on that if we aren't out of town! I haven't dove with anything more than a 3mm since San Diego, but I've done a few dives including a night dive since, so I'm a lot more confident now lol.

Excellent. Very glad it worked out well. Welcome to diving. There is lots to explore.

I got my perfect buoyancy cert yesterday at Crater and another dive master came along with our group just to hang out. Lynn (forgot his last name). Anyways, he was telling us about Sand Hollow, and there is a dive there in September I believe, through our dive shop, Neptune. So we may be going on that if we aren't out of town! I haven't dove with anything more than a 3mm since San Diego, but I've done a few dives including a night dive since, so I'm a lot more confident now lol.
Sorry I don't know Neptune staff other than Bruce C., John P. and George A. but I'm glad to hear you're gaining confidence.
If you can't make September, I have a group heading to Sand Hollow the first part of October. It will still be 3mm weather and a great place to play.

@Jackie W So glad you didn't let your early experience put you off. So worth sticking with it as you found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom