Socotra Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been diving off Socotra recently? If so, did you fly in directly from Dubai, through Saana, or some other route? How was the diving and transit?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I tried to organise a trip here several years ago, 2012 I think, and gave up due to limited time to get there and the complex flight schedule with too much time on the ground between flights. Back then if I recall the flights were from Sharjah in UAE via Mukalla in Yemen and the return back via Mukalla and Saana to Sharjah.

There was also the cost of the whole trip, especially the stay in Socotra itself and I ended up going to the Philippines instead which worked out at less than half the cost.

Hi Searcaigh:

Thanks for the response. I love diving in the Philippines. Also really enjoyed Oman and the Musandam Peninsula in your part of the world!

Been in touch with folks on Socotra, and will try to put a trip together there next year.

Cheers,

Dan

Is it possible at all to go to Socotra given the ongoing Yemen civil war? I know that saudis and UAE are damaging the beauty of the island with their f****** army bases.
I went there in 2014 and while I had very little experience I enjoyed my dives in Dihamri, even if they were easy shore dives. A couple of serious yemeni divers went to do some boat dives further on and man, their videos were interesting: plenty of big stuff!
Socotra is among my favourite places in the world, not only the diving.

A friend of mine was supposed to go there in May with a tour group sailing from Oman. It was supposed to be the first tourist group in 2 years. However, it had to be canceled - a local chief died and I guess that's the one who authorized the trip and promised safety.

Now that the Commies are out of there, I’ll bet Socotra would be ok...just not sure how long I’d want to spend there.

Plus, even if you had your own Gulfstream jet, it would still be a royal PITA to get to from the US. Good luck with the trip though.

Now that the Commies are out of there, I’ll bet Socotra would be ok...just not sure how long I’d want to spend there.

Plus, even if you had your own Gulfstream jet, it would still be a royal PITA to get to from the US. Good luck with the trip though.

Commies in Socotra? Wut? Is it 1985?

BTW, a word of caution - if you are from a US Visa Waiver (ESTA) country, you will need a regular visa to visit the US afterwards. This is because of an Obama-era policy restricting past visitors to a blacklist of countries, Yemen included.

For US and Canadian citizens, it is not a problem - but, rumor has it - it may disqualify you for Global Entry / NEXUS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom