Looking for the best mask out there -- Seal + Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody. Looking to borrow some experience, expertise and knowledge here!

I'm an instructor now. In the water probably 3-4 times a week. And as far as I'm concerned -- as far as the overall quality of the experience is concerned -- when it comes to dive equipment, a good mask is just as important as anything. And even the most expensive ones are <$200.. which is really super cheap relative to everything else; so money's no object here.

I currently dive the Cressi Big Eyes Evo (not the new'er crystal version). I LOVE the vision. The big, *tilted* lenses are really great. Bring the lenses really close to your eyes -- so your field of vision is outstanding. I work at a dive shop, and I've tried some other brands (scubapro, aqualung, atomic). None of them have those *tilted* frames, and the vision isn't the same. What's more important than being able to See down there!?!

Problem I have with the Big Eyes Evo is the seal. I've got a beard -- *NOT going to shave or trim it (and it's not duck dynasty big or anything, it's presentable). And my nose chamber is full of water every dive.

**FOrgot to mention this. Not easily fogged is a big, big deal to me too.

So.. I guess my questions are..

#1) Is Cressi the only brand that has *tilted* lenses? They say it's patented. And I've never heard of anyone else having them. And those are an absolute must to me.

#2) The Cressi Air Crystal. Marketed as Cressi's top mask, also has the *tilted* lenses. I've spoken to people at Cressi.. they say the field of vision is the same as the Big Eyes Evo, and that the seal is of a higher quality. Any confirmation on that, or experiences with the mask?

Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, etc.!!!

Last edited:
IMO some of the best masks available are Sea Dive brand now owned by XS Scuba. Quality of these masks is outstanding and the glass is optical quality. They are provided with various tints and coatings, and near impossible to fog. I think that are a bargain with retail around $100 US. I have at least 10 masks, but it seems I'm always diving with my two Sea Dives.

I wonder what the difference is between the "100% high quality" and the "Crystal" silicone is?

I have been diving a Big Eyes Evo for a while now and just actually ordered a new one to have Rx lenses installed. I sometimes get a little leakage if I don't shave, but don't see how to avoid that.

Most masks have coplanar lenses because of the prismatic distortion that occurs when they are not coplanar ("tilted").

I have a beard and don't find that it affects my mask to any material degree except when I am swimming inverted, because slight leaks at the bottom of the mask are inconsequential. I buy cheap generic masks. They work great.

You might like a freediving mask.

IMO some of the best masks available are Sea Dive brand now owned by XS Scuba. Quality of these masks is outstanding and the glass is optical quality. They are provided with various tints and coatings, and near impossible to fog. I think that are a bargain with retail around $100 US. I have at least 10 masks, but it seems I'm always diving with my two Sea Dives.

Interesting. I'll look into those. "Near impossible to fog" is beautiful music to my ears. Do you know if they have any tiLted lenses variations?

I wonder what the difference is between the "100% high quality" and the "Crystal" silicone is?

I have been diving a Big Eyes Evo for a while now and just actually ordered a new one to have Rx lenses installed. I sometimes get a little leakage if I don't shave, but don't see how to avoid that.

I think the *main* (practical) difference is that the crystal is supposed to "yellow" less over time.

The Big Eyes Evo are our shop's most popular mask -- in large part because they are so easy and cheap to get prescription lenses in.

Most masks have coplanar lenses because of the prismatic distortion that occurs when they are not coplanar ("tilted").

I have a beard and don't find that it affects my mask to any material degree except when I am swimming inverted, because slight leaks at the bottom of the mask are inconsequential. I buy cheap generic masks. They work great.

You might like a freediving mask.

Mmm.. Every mask I've seen (mostly scubapro, aqualung, atomic, other cressi's).. when you look at their side profile, the lenses are straight up and down (i.e., at a right angle with the nose chamber). The Cressi's are the only ones I've ever seen -- at least, significantly -- tilted.

Why freediving? I didn't even know there was a difference between scuba and free diving masks, to be honest.

I think a mask like the MAKO Minimus has the best downward visibility possible because the lense is extremely close to the eye. We also garantee that the mask fits and does not leak or we take it back on my dime.

Doesn't work for 100 % but close enough. For divers with a beard and mustache, it may be helpful to shave a very thin line under the nose and also a portion of the cheek to provide a smooth surface. Silicone grease is sometimes recommended but it can make a mess and if it gets on the lense, it must be cleaned.

Is the Zenith the mask you're referring to?

Problem I have with the Big Eyes Evo is the seal. I've got a beard -- *NOT going to shave or trim it (and it's not duck dynasty big or anything, it's presentable). And my nose chamber is full of water every dive.

Get a purge valve installed and blow water out of your nose chamber with every breath. Problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom