Gear recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares Avanti Quattro fins are my favorite and I've been using them reliably for decades. Mask, very much an individual preference based on fit and design - try before you buy.

I will parrot what most everyone else said.
Kind of how real estate is "location,location,location", scuba gear is "fit, fit, fit". Do not pay attention to pricing (high or low). Get what fits.
Would be best if they have a pool that you could try some different items out in because you may not know what fits or feels good until you use it.
If your gear does not fit or is outright uncomfortable then you are not going to enjoy diving and if you don't enjoy diving then you are not going to do it.

Spring or bungee straps on the fins. Makes them much easier to put on and off in the water.

I agree with most of the responses. My mask is a kid's mask, but it fits amazing to well.

I strongly suggest not buying anything you do not need for the class. There is a possibility you will discover diving is not for you. For example, one of my classmates experienced intense pain in the back of her head at depth. Most likely you will be fine, but it can be a big loss if it does not work out.

LOL, I have been in enough dive shops to let ya know that just because someone works there, it does NOT make them a professional.
At least we know that everyone on the internet is a professional.

Last edited:
At least we know that everyone on the internet is a professional.

I would say you have a better chance of getting a valuable accurate assessment of something on an internet group that is specific to the hobby you are going into. So you would personally go to a "shop" that has one person or maybe two there and assume that whatever they say is the God's honest truth and nothing but the truth, but when you have a quorum of shop owners and industry professionals available via the "interwebz" you would question that? What sounds more ridiculous?

The dive operator provided everything except prescription mask for the ow course. So both my mate and I bought our own.
I have seen all kinds of fins on recreational dive boat but not so much on tec boat! My favourite all round(OW) fins is Mares Avanti Quattro.

Last edited:
Booties - get the ones that have a high ankle. Because if you buy the type of fins that require wearing booties with them, the strap will not rub against the back of your ankle like they would if you use a low cut bootie. Make sure the bootie are thick (and high cut) and made for walking on rocks. Because if you do dives and have to walk on rocky shores you will be glad you have these.
Mine are 5mm and high cut. I dive in tropical watet.

Mask-
Clear or Black outlining (plastic part): The black ones are black because it helps reduce glare. The clear ones do not. I've always dove with the black outline type masks so I cannot say whether it's actual better than the clear.
Then there are masks that have, like, side lenses, which offer a wider field of view. I don't have this one but if I was to turn hack the hands of time and repurchase my gear I would get this one.

Snorkel
Buy the one where the water doesn't splash in from the top. (the opening is more narrow). And you should be able to blow water out of it easily while keeping your head in the water (while on surface). I have a foldable one but I've never actually had to fold it to carry it around.

Fins...
You have different types: The open heeled ones (you need to wear booties with these) the closed heel kinds (you don't need booties, just slide your bare feet in) some come with a strap that you fasten/buckle, and some are spring-loaded straps (you don't fasten these you just pull the strap over the back of your ankle)
For fins I guess it's just preference. There's this one shop, they have all of their divers wearing the split fins (atomic aquatic) and they're like $200 pair of fins and they swear by it.
Mine are not split fins, (Cressi Frog) and they're fine for me. I've done close to 40 dives with them. It did take a couple of dives to break them in, though. I would say maybe the first 4 or 5. Because it felt harder to kick at first.
I've worn scuba pro fins, the spring-loaded kinds and I REALLY liked those. Because I don't have to buckle (fasten) my fins on, you just stick your foot in and slide the spring-loaded strap over your ankle. I dove at an aquarium, they provided the gear so I got to try these!!!

Gear bag
-different kinds...
Mesh gear bags
Gear bags that have wheels at the bottom (like luggage)
Gear bags that you can also wear as a backpack.
Gear bags with no mesh

Wetsuit
Glued/blind stitched types keep the water from seeping out.
Thickness depends on the water temp you'll be diving in. I dive in (sub) tropical water and use a 3mm full and I have a 2mm shorty. I still use my full suit on 81 degree water temps. But when it's in the upper 80's I use my shorty.

This is just into on the different types of gear to help you decide. When buying my gear I was doing alot of research of the different types

When its time for you to purchase a dive light, get the ones that you can charge in the wall outlet (or even car charger kinds). Batteries are expensive and you don't want the ones that you have to buy batteries for.

And yes try everything on at the shop. Your shoe size and your bootie size will probably not be the same. Mine are definitely not. Try on the fins... Definitely try on a mask. Try on the wetsuits.. And you can google online for size charts. They usually go by height and weight.
My Fins are not those $200 kinds mine were like $89 and I still dive with them. My mask is a scuba mask from the brand Tusa and is one of those $65-75 kinds... Most people I know have a "scuba mask" I don't think I know anyone that had a cheaper mask... Or snorkeling type mask.
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom