Cave instructor recommendation who allows back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, second for Merideth Tanguay, Jill Heinerth and although I don't know Trace personally, he's highly recommended.

Although I have worked with several cave diving instructors from a few different agencies (NACD, NSS-CDS, IANTD, TDI) I would recommend GUE most highly. Not only because all their cave diver training is in back mount to the best of my knowledge, but most importantly they have the strongest emphasis on teamwork and excellent skills in my experience. Just be aware that GUE has some pretty demanding requirements just to be eligible to take their entry-level cave diver course. Demanding and a lot of work but worth it.

Last edited:
Maybe he teaches through other organizations too...
I'm not sure, but I thought he taught through full cave through NSS-CDS. I've alerted him to this thread, so he can chime in.

Personally I think NAUI and Cave1 is more bang for the buck... But Ken and I have had this discussion, it isn't for everyone. And again, being comfy with your instructor is way more important than which cert you get.... Chris finished my Cave1 for me and even though I had worked with him at Divers Supply... it wasn't a student/instructor relationship and in 10 minutes of sitting at a table doing paperwork/tests I was more comfortable with him as an instructor than I had been with pretty much all of my instructors (adv through DM) prior. OK.. this isn't about Chris, but it was a definite learning experience about being warm and fuzzy about who is taking you into an overhead environment.

+1 for Johnny Richards. I took his intro class in January and felt like he did a very good job.

Same for Johnny, I took Cavern and Intro from him and he's a great instructor. But you'll be in an area with lots of great instructors... get a recommendation from a source you trust, pick up the phone and give an instructor or two a call and see who you connect with best.

Leave some time for diving after you finish class, and have fun. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Have quite a few people to contact and look into to see who shares my philosophy and will be a good fit!

Ken teaches NAUI and though Cave 1 was exactly what I was looking for it is a bit more than Cavern and Intro... BUT DEFINITELY one to add to your list.... The bigger picture is be comfortable with your instructor FIRST... Maybe he teaches through other organizations too...

Tim, although I'm a cave instructor through NAUI, I'm also an advanced cave instructor through the NSS-CDS, IANTD, and TDI (cavern, intro, apprentice, full cave, stage, dpv, etc). NAUI Cave 1 is basically similar to NSS-CDS Apprentice (NAUI = 2 nav decisions, no deco, NSS-CDS Apprentice is 1 nav decision and ~10 minutes light deco).

My recommendation for instructors that teach (and regularly dive) back-mount in the High Springs area:

Jon Bernot (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Ted McCoy (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Meredith Tanguay (GUE), Dan Patterson (NSS-CDS, TDI), Jon and Lauren Kieran (TDI), and of course, Bill Oestreich (NSS-CDS, TDI, IANTD).

Every person I listed predominantly dives back-mount.

I'd be curious to hear who requires side-mount at the beginning levels. IMHO, if you've got substantial experience diving side-mount already, then maybe it's possible to begin cave dive training in that configuration. But if you have zero experience, the transition from single tank diving to back-mount doubles is smoother.

If you're looking for a side-mount instructor, I can give you a couple of recommendations as well. Marissa Waltman would be a person I'd talk to about side-mount, as is Edd Sorenson (but he's out in Marianna).

If you'd like to find out more about me, I'd also be happy to discuss my training philosophy and programs. I think there are a few people on the forums that have taken training with me as well.

Tim, although I'm a cave instructor through NAUI, I'm also an advanced cave instructor through the NSS-CDS, IANTD, and TDI (cavern, intro, apprentice, full cave, stage, dpv, etc). NAUI Cave 1 is basically similar to NSS-CDS Apprentice (NAUI = 2 nav decisions, no deco, NSS-CDS Apprentice is 1 nav decision and ~10 minutes light deco).

My recommendation for instructors that teach (and regularly dive) back-mount in the High Springs area:

Jon Bernot (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Ted McCoy (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Meredith Tanguay (GUE), Dan Patterson (NSS-CDS, TDI), Jon and Lauren Kieran (TDI), and of course, Bill Oestreich (NSS-CDS, TDI, IANTD).
/////
If you'd like to find out more about me, I'd also be happy to discuss my training philosophy and programs. I think there are a few people on the forums that have taken training with me as well.

Ken is being modest and gracious.. One of my dive buddies was trained by Ken and passed on glowing reviews.

I would highly recommend Jon Bernot. Having said that, I would first give the instructor a call and "interview" them. All of the names that have been listed so far are actively cave diving plus active instructors, i.e. on their days off they go cave diving for fun.

Enjoy the class. Just be warned once bitten by the cave bug there may not be another vacation that doesn't involve cave diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom