Trip Report: Raja Ampat (on a Budget) - May 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yosemite

Registered
Reaction score
PRELUDE
Raja Ampat is on everyone's diving bucket list and rightly so. But let's face it: prices are steep and not everyone can afford to splurge. Fortunately local homestays offer budget options catering to divers/travelers such as myself.

This is a report from my recent trip to R4 in May 2017. I hope it is helpful.

GENERAL
# Stayed and dived with: Daroyen Village Homestay
# Length of trip: 10D9N (7 days x 3 dives per day)
# Room booked: Standard (full board)
# Purpose of visit: Diving, diving, diving

HIGHLIGHTS
[Diving]
+ The underwater biodiversity is top class.
+ Dive rental equipment are in good conditions. Air is good. Guide/crew is good.
+ Daily dive briefing is good and dives are planned out carefully for your entire stay.
+ Emergency O2 is available on boat.
+ Clean water is provided to rinse your cameras when you return at end of day.

[Homestay]
+ Yohanes replies emails diligently prior to trip. Always reassuring when you travel to remote places like R4.
+ Haja and Herman are hospitable hosts and they always try to accommodate to your needs as much as they can.
+ Electricity runs for 10-12 hours starting from 6/7pm. Generator is away from the rooms and did not disturb my stay.
+ Water/coffee/tea is available for free.
+ Meals (B/L/D) are very simple but taste good.
+ Airport pickup at Sorong is included. Had no problems.
+ Budget price.

COULD BE BETTER
- The underwater visibility. May sits within the off-peak season.
- No clean water on the boat to rinse your cameras after each dive.
- Room lacks air circulation and is very warm even at nights. Sleeping in hammock outside room is much cooler.
- Lack of fresh water for shower. I was their second guest since they moved. They have not found any fresh water source yet at new location.
- The new location is subpar. Their old location seems to be nicer with white sandy beach and is much closer to the dive spots.
- The small beach is located behind some mangroves. Sea view from room is somewhat obstructed.
- Toilet cleanliness can be improved.

EXTRAS
* Daroyen has moved location since April 2017! They are now located on Gam island, south of Waigeo. Previous location was on Kri island.
* Everything is very basic including service. Helps to set your expectation right.
* Sunday is sabbath for the family. No activities/trips.
* Meals mainly include fish. Do not expect any other meat and they serve whatever they cook. No menu to pick from.
* The closest village next door offers birds of paradise tour. Very convenient if you are interested.

CONCLUSION
Whatever good reviews of diving in Raja Ampat you've read out there are true. The biodiversity is amazing and so full of life. The reefs and corals are some of the most pristine. You just have to see it for yourself.

Based on my trip,
  • R4 is not very shark-y.
  • R4 has plenty of currents. Especially during full moon.
  • Mantas are around but hard to spot in May. Best chance to see them: Sep-Mar.
Recommended spots
Blue Magic, Sauandarek, Mioskun, Cape Kri, Ot Di Ma, Mike's Point

Daroyen offers genuine hospitable services and will try their best to make your stay enjoyable. Herman is one of the first pioneers in the local homestay business in R4. He is kind and approachable when you need anything. Haja, his brother, runs the daily dive operations. He knows the dive sites around Dampier Strait very well and thoughtfully plans your dives. He will ensure you will get to dive the popular spots during your stay.

However it is quite unfortunate that they have to move location to Gam island. Despite the new quiet sanctuary, there are other local homestays with better locations around the area. Prices are competitive in general but I certainly cannot comment on the quality of service.

Hopefully Herman and family will fix the fresh water supply soon. I am sure their guests will appreciate it.

In summary, if you are simply there to enjoy the underwater paradise and you are on a budget (like myself), check this place out. You get what you pay for, but with a service that is close to heart.

I can put up with a lot of inconvenience but lack of fresh water after diving is only bearable for few days.

I can put up with a lot of inconvenience but lack of fresh water after diving is only bearable for few days.

Yes although it is not deliberate since they have just moved when I was there. They are working on it and hopefully they can sort it out soon.

Dear yosemite,

Thank you for your kind review. Thank you for your input and suggestions. Comments such as yours help us to improve our small little island at Gam. We are currently working to improve our facility include things you have mention;

Things that we need to point out. The old location don’t have fresh water either. Fresh water are not available on Kri island. All homestays in the area only have access to water than contain sea water for bath and to wash their equipment. Our new location is closer to the fresh water and we will be bringing fresh water soon from the main island of Gam. We were recently moved at the time you arrive and have not yet finished the fresh water well. I apologize for that. You will have fresh water next time you visit.

Other guests have mentioned about the mangroves as well. We have trimmed the Mangroves to clear some view to the sea prior you leave. The view is now less obstructed. Unfortunately, we can not cut down the tree to create free obstacle view because the mangroves are important as natural prevention from erosion, sea water entering the village fresh water supply, and bad weather.

Room feel warm at night. Unfortunately this is due to the weather at the time of your visit. We will put little fans in the room.

Thank you for the input on the toilet cleanliness. we will make sure it will be always clean at all time.

The old location is unfortunately getting crowded with homestays each year. Kri island is no longer feel private and secluded. The rat population have also increased significantly on that island. In this new location, we don’t have those problem. One of the reason we chose the current location is due to its secluded location and the significant importance of this little island existence that protect fresh water supply near Sawinggrai village.

Nature conservation is our first priority. Our long term goals is to save the beach from erosion and return this part of island back to its natural condition as fish breeding ground. Already we have seen the sand return to the beach slowly. We hope that with more guests visit we able to continue this long term task to save this little island on Gam.

Thank you again for spending time to write such details review. We hope you will visit us again.

Sincerely,
Yohanes

Things that we need to point out. The old location don’t have fresh water either. Fresh water are not available on Kri island. All homestays in the area only have access to water than contain sea water for bath and to wash their equipment. Our new location is closer to the fresh water and we will be bringing fresh water soon from the main island of Gam. We were recently moved at the time you arrive and have not yet finished the fresh water well. I apologize for that. You will have fresh water next time you visit.

No apologies needed. Perhaps it is fair to let your potential guests know about the lack of fresh water prior to their booking. I personally was not aware nor did I expect such condition until I arrived, regardless of your location. I understand it is a budget homestay but no fresh water to wash up with during your entire stay can be a very big inconvenience to many. Prior knowledge can help to set their expectations right from the beginning by allowing your guests to assess and decide if they are willing to accept such condition during their holidays. Anyways glad to hear that you guys are working on it.

Other guests have mentioned about the mangroves as well. We have trimmed the Mangroves to clear some view to the sea prior you leave. The view is now less obstructed. Unfortunately, we can not cut down the tree to create free obstacle view because the mangroves are important as natural prevention from erosion, sea water entering the village fresh water supply, and bad weather.

I simply mentioned about the mangroves obstructed view to set expectations right for other guests. I did not request or wish or imply that they be trimmed or removed or cut down to free the view. I have no issue with the mangroves and I understand the essential role they play in the ecosystem. I can live with the obstructed views as well, in spite of the fact that I was expecting white sandy stretch with open sea view (in Kri) as advertised on your website at the time of my booking.

Room feel warm at night. Unfortunately this is due to the weather at the time of your visit. We will put little fans in the room.

Of course no one controls the weather. Some days or nights will be cooler or warmer than others. Again I am sharing this experience to give readers a heads up. I am sure your guests will appreciate your effort nonetheless.

The old location is unfortunately getting crowded with homestays each year. Kri island is no longer feel private and secluded. The rat population have also increased significantly on that island. In this new location, we don’t have those problem. One of the reason we chose the current location is due to its secluded location and the significant importance of this little island existence that protect fresh water supply near Sawinggrai village.

Nature conservation is our first priority. Our long term goals is to save the beach from erosion and return this part of island back to its natural condition as fish breeding ground. Already we have seen the sand return to the beach slowly. We hope that with more guests visit we able to continue this long term task to save this little island on Gam.

It is in your family's best interest to protect the hygiene around your new home. The same old problems will resurface if you don't make it your priority to preserve your own environment.

Keep up the good work in nature conservation. It is everyone's collective effort as visitors and residents alike. But it would be a shame if you falter knowing you are a local. This is your home after all.

Protect mother nature and she will be kind to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing how much you paid? No worries if not!

I rather not share in public if that is ok :) Their prices are listed on their website if you are interested. Link is available in first post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom