Vacation to Pompano - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... We've made no commitments yet on a charter operation.
You didn't say when in July, but if you are planning to dive on July 26th and 27th you should book your boat NOW since that's lobster mini-season and every charter gets sold out quick...Especially the good ones like those mentioned by my friends above.

You didn't say when in July, but if you are planning to dive on July 26th and 27th you should book your boat NOW since that's lobster mini-season and every charter gets sold out quick...Especially the good ones like those mentioned by my friends above.

We will be down July 15-22.

I read their site info on the wrecks, and I've looked at other sites for info on the reefs. They all sound good...just asking for input from people that have been there/done that etc. I'm sure we will have a good time either way, but if we happen to be in a position to choose sites, I just want to make the best choice. :)

Given that you've done less than 25 dives, per your profile, I highly recommend the Copenhagen wreck and the shallow reef line for your first dive or two. I think that reef is spectacular if the marine conditions are OK.

PDC is a good shop, so is SFDHQ. I think SFDHQ goes to the shallow reef and Copenhagen regularly. Maybe you can check out both dive operators and see which one you like better

Thanks. Yeah, my wife and I have about 20 dives. We did our checkout dives in the Fl Springs, but other than that most of our dives have been within the 40-80ft range...with dives ranging from local quarries to a few charters we did down in Cozumel. One of the things I'm liking the more I learn about sites in Pompano is the abundance of sites that seem to have very reasonable profiles that I feel we would be comfortable with.

Our niece is coming with us and wants to possibly snorkel, and I think either of those shops go to the shallow reef and wreck you mention for snorkeling, so we may tag along and do some dives there as well. They are on our list. I'm just ready to get back in the water again. We did some scuba refresher work locally a week or two ago, and plan to go to a local quarry or something for a few dives before we take this trip.

As an FYI, there's also beach diving close by in Lauderdale by the Sea and Dania Beach. Gold Coast Scuba has a meetip.com group that dives almost every day. You can rent tanks and gear there If needed. Might be good for the snorkelers too

Another popular site is Blue Heron Bridge beach dive about 45-50 min drive north. Great for snorkeling too! But you have to go at the proper time, which is slack high tide.

I second the BHB - my wife did her checkout dives there a couple of years ago and it was an easy, relaxing dive for her. She also likes the Nursery, and I'm hoping to get her to try the SS Copenhagen (30' max IIRC); shallow enough to snorkel too.
I've used SFDHQ, PDC, Force E, etc., and have no problem recommending any of them - we were always well taken care of and treated well.

KevinL

Pompano Dive Center is a excellent operation and manager Tony E. is one of the best in business. PDC operates 2 dive boats daily and will not place you on a dive beyond your expertise.

BHB is definitely on our list of dives to do, but with the week everyone in our group has scheduled, I don't know that we'll get to it on this trip. When we first started planning this family vacation, we were going to be staying up around Vero, and driving down for diving in the West Palm area, but when things fell through with the property we were going to rent for the week we decided to seek out a place where we could dive more conveniently to where we would be staying so that we could maybe squeeze in an extra trip than we had previously planned. Anyway, we ended up in Pompano, and Pompano Beach Dive Center is 5-6 minutes from where we are staying and they seem to have great reviews, so as of now I've reserved three charters with them. Hopefully the weather holds up and everything for the trip. One of the three trips is actually a snorkel trip to the Copenhagen/Nursery where my brother and niece are going to snorkel and my wife and I are going to dive. The other two trips we'll either choose the sites, or take recommendations from the dive shop I guess. Looking forward to it!

good luck with your trip....would love to read your dive report.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom