Oxycheq bcd problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

I just bought 2 wing bcd, oxycheq mach v chroma, one is #18 for my wife, and the other #30 is being for myself.
I have a question that the #18 (18pounds life) is enough for my wife or not? as the bcd looks very small even blow up.
My wife is around 168cm height and around 120pounds.

Official web site didn't show how many pounds bcd suit for what kind of body type. I can't try it as the weather is very bad in my city recently.

Looking forward to havinf help here. Thank you very much

Dear all,

I just bought 2 wing bcd, oxycheq mach v chroma, one is #18 for my wife, and the other #30 is being for myself.
I have a question that the #18 (18pounds life) is enough for my wife or not? as the bcd looks very small even blow up.
My wife is around 168cm height and around 120pounds.

Official web site didn't show how many pounds bcd suit for what kind of body type. I can't try it as the weather is very bad in my city recently.

Looking forward to havinf help here. Thank you very much

The 18# wing is pretty much exclusively for warm water tropical diving. I'm 5'11" 165 lbs and would have no issue using the 18#wing as long as I had minimum exposure.

The 18# wing is pretty much exclusively for warm water tropical diving. I'm 5'11" 165 lbs and would have no issue using the 18#wing as long as I had minimum exposure.
Understand.
Our next dive trip is komodo on Sep, I'm afraid it does not work when we arrive there, and goods can not be returned after so long period.

Thank you very much

The BC only needs to compensate for the total negative bouyancy of the diver with gear, weights, wetsuit.

Body size has almost nothing to do with it, body composition might.

To take a personal example:

I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 194 lbs (1m84/88kg). With a 3.5mm full wetsuit, aluminum backplate and an AL80 cylinder, 'empty', I am neutral with a more or less empty wing and 4lbs of lead at the safety stop. I'm heavier by the weight of the air in the tank at the start of the dive (6lbs ish) and only sink slowly on full exhale (lungs = also bouyancy control). I only need a few shots of air in the BC for my recreational profiles to compensate for the loss of bouyancy due to my wetsuit compressing.

Simple version: the 30lb wing both I and my girlfriend have is unnencasirly large for the tropical diving we do, and either of us would be fine with a 17lb wing with our current gear.

The BC only needs to compensate for the total negative bouyancy of the diver with gear, weights, wetsuit.

Body size has almost nothing to do with it, body composition might.

To take a personal example:

I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 194 lbs (1m84/88kg). With a 3.5mm full wetsuit, aluminum backplate and an AL80 cylinder, 'empty', I am neutral with a more or less empty wing and 4lbs of lead at the safety stop. I'm heavier by the weight of the air in the tank at the start of the dive (6lbs ish) and only sink slowly on full exhale (lungs = also bouyancy control). I only need a few shots of air in the BC for my recreational profiles to compensate for the loss of bouyancy due to my wetsuit compressing.

Simple version: the 30lb wing both I and my girlfriend have is unnencasirly large for the tropical diving we do, and either of us would be fine with a 17lb wing with our current gear.
As u mentioned "body size almost nothing to do with it", so a high capacity bcd is not necessary if not diving with a lot of equipment, actually we r just taking 1 set of cameras(together with tray, video lights with float arm). So my 30lbs bcd wing is not necessary, is this correct?

As mentioned, what is the exposure protection you are wearing? That determines the amount of lead you'll need and that determines the amount of lift your wing needs to have. If it's a thin wetsuit (3mm or less) and you need less than 12 lbs of lead that wing will be fine ( 4-5 lbs is for the weight of the air in your tank). If that applies to both of you then an 18# wing is good for you both.

You should consider your exposure protection - are you going to be primarily in a 3mm shorty or will you also be in a 5mm full suit for cooler temperatures? This will of course affect how much ballast you're carrying. Another thing to consider is how you're carrying the weight. Are you using integrated pockets on your harness or a weight belt? are you using any trim weights on your cylinder or a V weight?

Ideally you're wing should be able to float your rig on the surface and the above factors will play into that.

The most popular way to dive Komodo is liveaboard. As far as I am concerned, multi dives over multi days mean only one thing: thicker wet suit. And that means a lot more dead weight to carry for the dive,
I am cheap so I have only one 30lbs wing for warm or cold water(dry suit) diving. Would a smaller wing suit me better for warm water? I am NOT going to spend any money to find out the answer.

The diving in Komodo is phenomenal. Enjoy.

I'm 6'2" 325 lbs and I wear the 18" Mach V wing every dive, I've worn out 4 of them. I'm neutrally buoyant with 4 # of lead in a 3 mil drysuit with a steel tank and backplate. Size doesn't matter.

I dived komodo with a 18# mach V and it was perfect with a 5mm+steel backplate. Unless you are grossly overweighted you'll be fine. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom