Combining octo/inflator combo w/ bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got one initially for the same reason you are considering it. I went away from it for a number of reasons. If the inflator valve has a problem you can't just disconnect it and inflate manually. The bigger issue for me is this. I thought I would have a more compact setup but it wasn't really true. With the integrated solution the inflator hose must be longer and that means you need to retain it somehow so it isn't dangling and it is pretty darned stiff so I was unable to find a solution that worked well. When I went to a dedicated secondary second stage secured with a necklace, it is flexible and snug in tight and right where I need it if I need it. Right under my chin. The dedicated inflator on the other hand is now able to me much shorter and stays right on my shoulder where it is always where my hand expects it to be. No more dangling combo inflator/octo. It was a transitional thing but I wish I had saved the money and gone straight to the long hose primary and necklaced octo. It just works better for me.

Hmmm, interesting thoughts. I'm starting to waver a bit. I hadn't thought much about the servicing process either.

I tried a "safe second" when I started putting my kit together and dove it for about a year. During that year I used it to get used to using it and discovered after a few uses that it was not an optimal piece of kit. When in use it restricted my head movement to the right because of the shortness and stiffness of the corrugated hose and that stiffness also tried to push the mouth piece out of my mouth when I looked left. In an air sharing situation i found the trying to breath and dump air was adding another level of task loading in an already tense situation.
As far as the one less hose scenario goes the "safe second" is a lot larger than a regular inflator and tends to hang down farther than an inflator thus creating more drag.
My normal diving configuration is my primary is on a 40" hose routed under my right arm and my backup is bungied around my neck. This leaves my left hand free to dump or add air to my or the others persons BC without having to remove the "safe second" from my mouth or find the right button to dump air.

It should be fine.
But I won't use it for one reason:
I don't know how to get the spare parts as well as servicing it personally.

Make sure you like breathing from it because in emergency it is the one that goes into your mouth. Practice how to deflate/inflate the bc while breathing from it and also with an out of air diver on your primary 2nd stage at the same time.

This is a biggie. Simpler kit/less hoses are great if you're traveling. Trying to learn how to work the inflate/deflate on your BC when you're breathing off your Air2 for the first time in an OOA is na'sogreat.

I have several different BPW sets that i have air 2's for I use it because I like the inflate deflate buttons better than on a traditional inflator. Most of my rigs also have an additional second stage on a necklace so I really am simply using it for the inflation aspect although I do practice using it as a second stage should that be necessary

Haha, in all seriousness everybody has been pretty flame free in the discussion here. I've changed my mind and I think I will stick with my current traditional setup.

Now the scarier question: if I add a 90 degree elbow to my 2nd stage/hose fitting, does it need lube on the threads?:popcorn:
I have honestly never seen more differing opinions or differing reasons for those opinions as when I searched lubing hose/reg fittings on this forum.

I suggest you should start a new thread for your follow up question if you don't get a good response and if you didn't get the answer you needed from your search.

I suggest you should start a new thread for your follow up question if you don't get a good response and if you didn't get the answer you needed from your search.
Fair enough. Thanks for the great answers in this thread all, they've been quite helpful.

Haha, in all seriousness everybody has been pretty flame free in the discussion here. I've changed my mind and I think I will stick with my current traditional setup.

Now the scarier question: if I add a 90 degree elbow to my 2nd stage/hose fitting, does it need lube on the threads?:popcorn:
I have honestly never seen more differing opinions or differing reasons for those opinions as when I searched lubing hose/reg fittings on this forum.

The short answer to that is, No it doesn't. However, for regs that see a lot of salt water use and are not rinsed as well as they should be, it won't hurt to put a drop on the threads as an anti-seize/corrosion deal. Saltwater has a way or working itself into the smallest places and doing less than ideal things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom