Air integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is a computer. And an SPG. And a BCD. They are costly and unnecessary crutches, too.

My dad started diving when he was 14. He only ever dived double steel 72s, with no computer, no SPG, and no BCD. In a thick Farmer John wetsuit. He dived the north Florida black water rivers and caves and he dove to 200' in the Navy with that configuration. He has told me all those things are unnecessary.

So, what's your point?

I think that this whole "scuba" thing is a waste, unnecessary and isn't only a crutch, it is a wheelchair!!

I'm a bit old school. My non-ai computer is on my left wrist, my spg/compass console is on my left and my "tried and true" back-up dive watch is on my right wrist (which I zero as part of my BWRAF dive ritual).

I like NOT having all my data-eggs in a single basket, so a failure of any one device would be an issue, but not leave me totally in the dark.

Again, do what feels right to you! Just my $0.02...

-PH

So is a computer. And an SPG. And a BCD. They are costly and unnecessary crutches, too.

My dad started diving when he was 14. He only ever dived double steel 72s, with no computer, no SPG, and no BCD. In a thick Farmer John wetsuit. He dived the north Florida black water rivers and caves and he dove to 200' in the Navy with that configuration. He has told me all those things are unnecessary.

So, what's your point?

My point is you really should pay $1000+ for one of those computers that will impress the divers at your local watering hole rather than one for a couple hundred that gives you the same necessary information for safe diving but some other diver might see you using in Cozumel.

My point is you really should pay $1000+ for one of those computers that will impress the divers at your local watering hole rather than one for a couple hundred that gives you the same necessary information for safe diving but some other diver might see you using in Cozumel.
You have being quite adamant about telling me what a poor decision you think I made buying an AI computer. Oceanic's MSRP on my computer is $679.95 (for simplicity's sake, let's call it $680). My LDS was selling them at a lower price. When I bought mine, there was a trade in any dive computer and get a 20% discount offer on the Pro Plus 3. I needed to replace my computer anyway (it got crunched between the ladder & the boat), so it was an ideal time to take advantage of Oceanic's offer. By the time all was said & done, I paid significantly less than the $680 MSRP, and in fact, closer to your target price of "a couple hundred".

You have being quite adamant about telling me what a poor decision you think I made buying an AI computer. Oceanic's MSRP on my computer is $679.95 (for simplicity's sake, let's call it $680). My LDS was selling them at a lower price. When I bought mine, there was a trade in any dive computer and get a 20% discount offer on the Pro Plus 3. I needed to replace my computer anyway (it got crunched between the ladder & the boat), so it was an ideal time to take advantage of Oceanic's offer. By the time all was said & done, I paid significantly less than the $680 MSRP, and in fact, closer to your target price of "a couple hundred".

Water under the bridge. This thread was started to help someone decide what to buy, not justify what they already bought. I made my venture into AI many years ago and it did not take me too long to realize I had spent $400 when $150 computer was better. At least you did get a computer that will not limit your diving with an overly conservative algorithm. I made that mistake also.

I have come to realize I am much happier with a less than $100 computer on my wrist than a more expensive computer on the end of a hose or a much more expensive computer on my wrist that buzzes and flashes and provides me with much more information than I need (but it is fun to show it off).

OP, main point here is, if YOU think you NEED AI, then by all means go for it. If you like features of AI, but can't justify cost to yourself go non-AI. It's simple as that.

Water under the bridge. This thread was started to help someone decide what to buy, not justify what they already bought. I made my venture into AI many years ago and it did not take me too long to realize I had spent $400 when $150 computer was better. At least you did get a computer that will not limit your diving with an overly conservative algorithm. I made that mistake also.

I have come to realize I am much happier with a less than $100 computer on my wrist than a more expensive computer on the end of a hose or a much more expensive computer on my wrist that buzzes and flashes and provides me with much more information than I need (but it is fun to show it off).
My Perdix AI does not buzz or flash and provides me with exactly the info i want (and is customizable). There is not another computer that offers the same functionality, visibility, great form factor/intuitive UI, easy battery change/availability at any price point that I have cone across.

Sure - it's not cheap, but I have worked hard and am fortunate to be in a position that the cost is not a concern. However, that is not the case for everyone, so one should buy the computer they can afford that provides the features they want. There are plenty of great computer options out there and everyone is a tradeoff of features versus price.

Others should just keep the platitiudes on other peoples purchase motivations to yourself as you know nothing about the strangers you are judging...

Remkember we are in the Basic Scuba Discussions forun. If you get into more technical diving where you can take advantage of the gas switching capabilities of your Perdix, then that should be $1000 well spent. For basic recreational diving it is like a top of the line Corvette on the NJ Parkway on a summer weekend.

Remkember we are in the Basic Scuba Discussions forun. If you get into more technical diving where you can take advantage of the gas switching capabilities of your Perdix, then that should be $1000 well spent. For basic recreational diving it is like a top of the line Corvette on the NJ Parkway on a summer weekend.

convenient gas switching is also nice in recreational diving if you are diving nitrox mixes with different fO2's for whatever reason or are going back and forth between nitrox and air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom