Looking for the best mask out there -- Seal + Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bearded and mustachioed diver as well. I started off with an Aqualung low volume mask that was good enough to get me through the classes and ow, but did always let water in. I'd be clearing my mask every minute or 2. Not ideal. I tried the big eyes evo, and it was better, but only if the position was just right. I recently bought the Sherwood Rona and that has worked the best for me so far. Good field of vision on my face, and the most forgiving for me of varied placement.

Interesting idea..

In theory. LP sold me a Big Eyes Evo for $55 a couple of weeks ago, if I had this problem I'd be tempted to buy a 2nd one at that price for the experiment. :wink:

Does anyone else feel like black (not clear - "crystal" or not - silicone) masks seal better?? I sort of do. But it may just be my mind playing tricks on me..

Back in the 70s I spent a lot of time researching and trying on masks and finally decided upon the Cressi Occhio. I still have it. As long as I remember to put some "Spit" or detergent or whatever on it before diving it never fogs. It leaked once but stopped after I re-adjusted it (I have a fairly thick mustache). If it does get a little bit foggy I let some water in and swish it around. The problem is that I cannot keep water in it--it clears itself automatically. Either that or I do it automatically. The current version is black (mine is clear) and is called the Super Occhio. If my mask ever wears out (no sign of it so far) I will, no doubt, get the current version. It's very low-volume so I don't need to change masks for free diving.

In my experience a fogging mask has very little, if anything, to do with the mask itself, it's about proper initial cleaning and regularly there after, not breathing through your nose, not letting it bake in the sun between dives etc etc personally I use spit. Baby shampoo also works well. Mask is all about fit, the rest is personal preference. A $200 mask is worth nothing if it leaks on you. Now I'm sure having a beard complicates things, I'm sure more hairy folk will chime in. Good luck with your search, I spent over $1000 on masks before I found one that didn't leak on my face. It's worth trying on masks with a mouth piece in your mouth as this does change your face shape.

Last edited:
It's worth trying on masks with a mouth piece in your mouth as this does change your face shape.
This is spot on, but easier said than done in a dive shop unless they let you get it wet. My mask fits perfect for the "suck and hold" test, yet in some positions with a regulator in my mouth I get some leakage. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.

First time out spearfishing today and had a blast, what became obvious very quickly is my cheap scuba mask isn’t up to the job, it continuously fogs up. Tried my mates cressi mask and it remained crystal clear the whole time. Im going to look at getting a decent mask, there’s a lot of choice around the ~£25 mark and they all seem much of a muchness to look at. Is there any brands which are particularly good/ i should avoid?
Good- ones that fit
Avoid- ones that don't

Price of mask has very little to do with anything. Fit, fit, clean, clean.

I've found best way to clean mask is take a lighter to the lens and burn off residue.

This is spot on, but easier said than done in a dive shop unless they let you get it wet. My mask fits perfect for the "suck and hold" test, yet in some positions with a regulator in my mouth I get some leakage. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.
Yes, take a mouthpiece with you or a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom