New diver in Oahu!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Findol

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I've been browsing the forums quite a bit lately and figure it's about time I've introduced myself. My family and I recently moved to Oahu, HI and it appears we'll be here for a good while. I pretty much made it my goal to get OW certified ASAP after landing on the island. I'm enjoying it immensely and I've been trying to go out at lest once a week now. That being said, I've only been able to go on about 5 dives (2 of those dives were my cert dives as well), so trust me when I say I'm very new to diving. I'm trying to get my wife into diving as well but she has a fear for the open water right now, so she wants to try snorkeling first and see how that goes.

Sadly, I have to rent right now but in time, I do hope to buy my own gear.I figure renting gives me a easy way to see what exactly I like.

Right now my list looks something like this.

1) Wetsuit (Thinking a 5mm bare as I get slightly chilly while under the water)
2)Perdix (AI maybe)
3)DSS BP/W, thinking a steel backplate and a torus #26
4)Reg (Thinking the Deep6)
5)Accessories that I haven't been able to buy yet (This one will most likely be bought in between each purchase, for example, I plan to buy a dive knife and maybe a light when I get the wetsuit)

I'm sure I'm missing something but can't think of it right now.

Anyways! If you're ever in the Oahu area, shoot me a message! I'm always looking for a dive buddy and I always need an excuse to get out of the house.

I figure renting gives me a easy way to see what exactly I like.

Welcome to Scubaboard & diving! I completely agree with your statement above. This is what I did & it helped me choose gear that I still love today. And remember, you can purchase things one by one. You don't need to do it all at once.

Also, in regards to the 5mm. There can be a difference between the used wet suits you rent & a brand new wet suit since the rented suit get compressed over time. I own a few different wet suits, but what I've also learned is that layering works really well. You shouldn't ever be chilly so maybe a 5mm is the right call for you. But you might also want to experiment with layering (e.g., vest, hooded vest, beanie, etc.) too.

Happy diving!

Welcome to Scubaboard & diving! I completely agree with your statement above. This is what I did & it helped me choose gear that I still love today. And remember, you can purchase things one by one. You don't need to do it all at once.

Also, in regards to the 5mm. There can be a difference between the used wet suits you rent & a brand new wet suit since the rented suit get compressed over time. I own a few different wet suits, but what I've also learned is that layering works really well. You shouldn't ever be chilly so maybe a 5mm is the right call for you. But you might also want to experiment with layering (e.g., vest, hooded vest, beanie, etc.) too.

Happy diving!

I wish I had the type of money to buy everything at once! The wetsuit is going to be my first purchase and probably the last one for a while (Unless I see a good computer deal out there). Right now rental gear isn't bothering me to much, just sucks not having a choice in BC everytime (IE Getting a jacket inflate, rather than the back ones).

On that note, my LDS is actually doing a tent sale this weekend, so I figure I'll check them out first to see what the deals are like. I'm sure a 3mm would work just fine for me but I'm a big wimp when it comes to the cold, so I figure just going straight for the 5mm should do it. God help me if I ever get stationed back in WA and decide to dive there! I'll look at picking up some layering items however.

I wish I had the type of money to buy everything at once! The wetsuit is going to be my first purchase and probably the last one for a while (Unless I see a good computer deal out there). Right now rental gear isn't bothering me to much, just sucks not having a choice in BC everytime (IE Getting a jacket inflate, rather than the back ones).

On that note, my LDS is actually doing a tent sale this weekend, so I figure I'll check them out first to see what the deals are like. I'm sure a 3mm would work just fine for me but I'm a big wimp when it comes to the cold, so I figure just going straight for the 5mm should do it. God help me if I ever get stationed back in WA and decide to dive there! I'll look at picking up some layering items however.

You can also look into used gear or gear online as well. I firmly support my LDS & only buy my life saving equipment from them (e.g., reg, computer, etc.), but I've personally found that getting some of the other stuff online helps. For example: A bag from LeisurePro who does a price match guarantee or a wetsuit from Wetsuit Wearhouse--yes, they actually spell it that way. Wetsuit Wearhouse is even doing a 50% sale right now on last year's models & they just recently went super green as a company installing solar panels, etc.)

I'm a big wimp when it comes to the cold myself so I hear you. It's never good to be cold on a dive. I often use my 5mm these days even when it's warm...but it's become very compressed so it's probably closer to a 4 or even 3mm now. I just mention the layers because this didn't occur to me right away & it's really helped me adjust to varying temps more easily.

@Findol

Cold tolerance is personal. I dive a full 5 mm in Hawaii, where I have found the water temperature to be in the mid to high 70s. A hooded vest is a great add on if the water is on the cold side.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...i love diving on Oahu's west side...just out of curiosity who is your LDS?

Hi..I live there for three years and since you're going to be there for a while I recommend a shorty, 3mil and 5 mil. 5 mils are great for those dives over an hour but I never used one (should have). There are a couple of months the water will be warmer towards end of summer but each season is a little different. There are a bunch of clubs and non paying clubs. I really like the Sea Lancers on Hickam AFB, mainly because you have access to air 24/7. It's a non profit one but definitely fun people. If you get around, look into White Tako Tong, they do both snorkeling and diving (this one is free). It's a great place and it's amazing how many different things you'll see and how the seasons really make a difference in marine life. Aloha and enjoy.

Hello Findol and congratulations on getting certified! Too bad your wife isn't into diving along with you but, that could change in the coming future. Like you said, it all depends on how comfortable she gets with open water and the snorkeling will help her decide. Take your time with purchasing your gear. As you said, trying out different pieces will give you the right information as to exactly what you want for gear without breaking the bank and getting something you will not be comfortable with. Safe and happy diving!

@Findol

Cold tolerance is personal. I dive a full 5 mm in Hawaii, where I have found the water temperature to be in the mid to high 70s. A hooded vest is a great add on if the water is on the cold side.

When I lived on Oahu I only wore a 3 mil farmer john. Recently after going back and diving Kauai, the Big Island, Maui, and some other spots I've come to the conclusion that a 5 mil full suit is better. Being slightly chilled is fine if you're doing one dive and don't care much about air consumption. For multiple dives a day and for longer dive times being comfortable, including temperature-wise really helps. I totally agree on the hooded vest too. It comes in handy in the cooler temps, or on night dives.

Enjoy Hawaii, it has some great, and possibly under rated by some, diving. :)

Hi..I live there for three years and since you're going to be there for a while I recommend a shorty, 3mil and 5 mil. 5 mils are great for those dives over an hour but I never used one (should have). There are a couple of months the water will be warmer towards end of summer but each season is a little different. There are a bunch of clubs and non paying clubs. I really like the Sea Lancers on Hickam AFB, mainly because you have access to air 24/7. It's a non profit one but definitely fun people. If you get around, look into White Tako Tong, they do both snorkeling and diving (this one is free). It's a great place and it's amazing how many different things you'll see and how the seasons really make a difference in marine life. Aloha and enjoy.

Thank you for the club suggestions!
I looked at the Sea Lancers and think I'll swing by sometime next week to put in an application. Seems like an awesome group. I've enjoyed my diving experiences so far, a lot of sea life that you kind of overlook when you're just swimming!

Hello Findol and congratulations on getting certified! Too bad your wife isn't into diving along with you but, that could change in the coming future. Like you said, it all depends on how comfortable she gets with open water and the snorkeling will help her decide. Take your time with purchasing your gear. As you said, trying out different pieces will give you the right information as to exactly what you want for gear without breaking the bank and getting something you will not be comfortable with. Safe and happy diving!

I'm sure she'll want to try getting certified at some point. She's expressed interest in it already, however she is having a hard time getting past the idea of being 20+ft under. She's super excited to go snorkeling though!
No real rush on the gear, although at times, being able to not have to run to my LDS to grab the rental gear would be nice! In time though.

When I lived on Oahu I only wore a 3 mil farmer john. Recently after going back and diving Kauai, the Big Island, Maui, and some other spots I've come to the conclusion that a 5 mil full suit is better. Being slightly chilled is fine if you're doing one dive and don't care much about air consumption. For multiple dives a day and for longer dive times being comfortable, including temperature-wise really helps. I totally agree on the hooded vest too. It comes in handy in the cooler temps, or on night dives.

Enjoy Hawaii, it has some great, and possibly under rated by some, diving. :)

Not sure if I'll be doing any night dives anytime soon but we'll see! The 5mm seems like it'd be the best idea for me and I generally like to do 2 tank dives (at least from what I've been able to do), so figure it'll save me in the long run! I'll look into the hooded vest.

Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom