Deepest Dive First, no exceptions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you use in your teaching NAUI courses?

the "ever" was when I'm diving, when I'm teaching I have to use NAUI tables and I do, but I do explain the pros and cons of the other styles of tables and computers and how to make an informed decision on which to use when

the "ever" was when I'm diving, when I'm teaching I have to use NAUI tables and I do, but I do explain the pros and cons of the other styles of tables and computers and how to make an informed decision on which to use when

Do you teach practical information on dive computer use and have your students use dive computer in their openwater dives in addition to dive tables?

Do you teach practical information on dive computer use and have your students use dive computer in their openwater dives in addition to dive tables?

we do not teach computer use during open water. we have to teach the tables, and have decided not to use computers during this stage of their training as we have no control of the gear that they are renting from the local shops. computer rental is also typically an extra charge so the combination of the complexity of teaching multiple computers that we are likely not familiar with and the added cost to the students, we choose to stay with tables and analog gauges for their training.

students are all college students so we teach the pros and cons of computers and how to analyze different computer options prior to making a purchase to ensure it is what they are looking for.

This is the best answer so far. The long taught "Deepest Dive first" does not make your dives any safer. It will give you more bottom time, but at those shallow depths, you're likely to run out of air before you run out of your NDL. Have fun and let us know how the family dive turns out! :D :D :D

Had an amazing weekend. The wife was certified Sunday just after noon. We drove that evening over to Austin into a very nasty thunderstorm. The electricity coming out of that storm was impressive. Thankfully, by morning it had passed. The proprietor at Windy Point thought we had three hours before the storms came back. But they never did. We had three amazing dives. Hundreds of perch. A few bass. A few catfish. I wasn't a perfect guide. Our first traverse of the shoreline varied from 32' to 37'. But we found most all of the features at "newbie" depth.

Our second dive, we went back to the 32' platform that started our morning. There is a ladder down the deep side. We all descended. At the bottom of the platform we hit a depth of about 42'. We further descended to 46' along a guide chain (to deeper stuff). We paused and I showed my wife the depth on my computer, while okay, she was a bit surprised actually reading the number. We were diving the plan we had made in the SI. It wasn't a deviation that surprised her. Just seeing the number on the computer in black digits was more of a mental impact than she thought it would be. She gave me the okay sign but also indicated that she wanted to ascend a bit. The boys chose to make a 46' traverse. The wife and I went back up and did a another traverse at 37'.

The wife was getting a bit wore out. She had just done her first seven open water dives in short oerder. She begged off the third dive of the day. The boys and I went out for our third and final dive. Each surface interval today had happy stories about the fish, or the steel shark, or the spooky trees and stumps. The wife and I were thanked repeatedly. In the stories I could hear the boys talking about their gauges and computers. As a father, that part was an important hymn sung to my ears. I have been dreaming that they would love this. I have also been dreaming of getting them back after each dive. Hearing them talk about the low on air signal, as well as calling the dive and heading to the safety stop at 700PSI was huge for dad.

I could not be more pleased with the weekend. The fam. The new hobby we are sharing. The boys' diligence. Has a newb ever come to the board and said that they were glad that they didn't start this sooner? Man, I wish that we had started this sooner.

There was a symposium a number of years ago in which decompression scientists discussed the issue of "reverse profiles" at length. To make a long story short, they collectively decided that if the difference in depth in a reverse profile situation is not more than 40ft/12m that in the context of recreational diving they would not expect to see negative side effects.
Yes but... I didn't find where that limitation came from. From what I'm finding (p 286), they just say that they looked in that range and not further.

Wienke:
The whole range of investigation for all the analyses was 130 feet of seawater and variable delta Ps. We need to say something to the people who are going to read this about what the data was and where we looked. If we don't do that, we're leaving them a little short. Or, they can read it in the body of the paper, fat chance though.

Page 284 also gives some info about where it comes from... From what I get, Neuman was the chair.

Also found Reverse dive profiles: the making of a myth. and [abstract] THE RELATIVE SAFETY OF FORWARD AND REVERSE DIVING PROFILES about reverse profiles... Didn't read them (yet) though. Maybe this week-end when I get time to spend on the train.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom