Looking for ideas; Liveaboard in May 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sailed with Adelaar Cruises in October a couple of years ago. The weather was fantastic, the boat was great, small dive groups and great food.

They normally offer Bali-Komodo-Bali only, but I just received an email from them a while ago with new itineraries. Looks like they'll be doing a few one-way Bali-Komodo cruises and they've added Alor! I'm thinking of joining the Alor itinerary. If you are coming in internationally you can fly nonstop on Garuda from Jakarta to Labuan Bajo and join the boat back to Bali. Perfect place to add a couple of days.

Cool, that's when I was thinking of going... or around Sep/ October. How was the weather in August? Windy? choppy or calm seas?

I hear that's when the weather shifts a little.

Forgot to mention that in that region of Indonesia, October is the end of dry season & the beginning of rainy season. That's why some boats are migrating to Raja Ampat.

From 2011 through 2015 the rainfall in October in Komodo was between 2mm and 38mm. Boats depart Komodo in October because it's season in Raja Ampat. Komodo can still be wonderful in October, sometimes even better with much less traffic.

Good to know. I was reading somewhere that there are actually a Northern & Southern regions in Komodo and the climates can differ. Is this indeed the case?

Good to know. I was reading somewhere that there are actually a Northern & Southern regions in Komodo and the climates can differ. Is this indeed the case?

Yes, Nasser it's true! Here's a quote from an article we wrote called Weather or Not To Go to Komodo: Komodo’s borders are nestled between two oceans, 39 km (24 miles) apart, the Pacific Ocean to the North, and the Indian Ocean to the South. This results in two completely different seasonal changes, creating 2 completely different underwater experiences in each season.

During September and October the seas can be a bit rough in the South, however, the large bays that you dive in usually have calm anchorages. Boats the size of Adelaar don't usually have a problem getting to the southern dive sites (a bit of rocking coming around the points into the bays). Although, the south can be a bit chilly (23-25c) and the water a bit green (while the North is opposite). But the reefs and marine life are still amazing. We usually spend a total of 1.5 - 2 days in the South, during that time of year.

Yes, Nasser it's true! Here's a quote from an article we wrote called Weather or Not To Go to Komodo: Komodo’s borders are nestled between two oceans, 39 km (24 miles) apart, the Pacific Ocean to the North, and the Indian Ocean to the South. This results in two completely different seasonal changes, creating 2 completely different underwater experiences in each season.

During September and October the seas can be a bit rough in the South, however, the large bays that you dive in usually have calm anchorages. Boats the size of Adelaar don't usually have a problem getting to the southern dive sites (a bit of rocking coming around the points into the bays). Although, the south can be a bit chilly (23-25c) and the water a bit green (while the North is opposite). But the reefs and marine life are still amazing. We usually spend a total of 1.5 - 2 days in the South, during that time of year.

Thanks for the link - great article! I have to admit that the notion of diving at a time where there are much less trousists and vessels around is very appealing to me.

I have one last question... do the ecosystems or more specifically the marine life differ greatly in South Komodo vs. North Komodo? I understand that there are certain months were there would be for example a larger concentration of Mantas or Whale sharks etc.. but on the whole, how do the two regions differ with respect to overall marine life?

Thanks for the link - great article! I have to admit that the notion of diving at a time where there are much less trousists and vessels around is very appealing to me.

I have one last question... do the ecosystems or more specifically the marine life differ greatly in South Komodo vs. North Komodo? I understand that there are certain months were there would be for example a larger concentration of Mantas or Whale sharks etc.. but on the whole, how do the two regions differ with respect to overall marine life?
Good choice last year we were there in Aug/Sept and it was a madhouse in central northern komodo. Luckily there was only one other boat down south so we were able to really enjoy the diving at Rinca

yes....the eco systems are a bit different. The water is colder in the south so you get different critters and viz. The mantas were in both places but we saw a larger congregation of them in the south. To me the south is far better and I wouldn't consider a trip to Komodo if not going to the south (keeping in mind that weather sometimes stops boats from heading down).

Hi Nasser,

The macro in South Rinca is off the charts! Nudi's, frogfish and crustaceans cover the reef! Manta Alley is usually very productive and if you're lucky Molas have been spotted in that area too.

TO hasten my search I am seeking input. We were narrowing into the Philippine Siren, but its full on the dates we are looking at (or is so limited we wont be able to pull the trigger fat enough).

WE have done a few in the Caribbean and also Fiji (got hosed on the weather - wind, waves, cold, rain).

We are looking for something further than the Caribbean and preferable warm water.

Hi there!

We’ll throw our hats into the ring with several possibilities for May.

First, you might still consider going to Tubbataha in the Philippines. While the Philippine Siren is booked, you can find some other great options here. In particular, the PY Atlantis Azores and the MV Solitude One are great alternatives.

Some other recommended destinations in May are:

1. Socorro - The land of giant manta rays. May is the last month of the season with great manta encounters alongside several species of shark. It’s not exactly warm water like you requested, but it’s well worth it. Recommended Boat: Nautilus Belle Amie
2. Australia - Definitely a bucket list destination. May signals a shift in seasons and Dwarf Minke Whales begin to appear. Recommended Boat: Spirit of Freedom
3. Fakarava and Rangiroa in French Polynesia - May ushers in the dry season in this part of the South Pacific and is a great time for the famous shark diving in the region. Recommended boat: French Polynesia Master
4. Komodo - As many others have mentioned, May aligns perfectly with Komodo live aboard season. Mantas galore and it isn’t the busiest month for the area. Recommended boat: Indo Siren (For its similarities to the Philippine Siren that you mentioned. Although we think the SY Adelaar and the MSY WAOW are pretty great, too!)

Let us know if we can help you with anything else. Have a great holiday!

Back
Top Bottom