Why Are Wrist Straps So Long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephen1254

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This may be a silly question...

Even over a 5MM wet suit sleeve, my computer has nearly 6" of additional strap. I've noticed the same thing with other computers worn by other divers. Why so long? Is this to allow sufficient strap length over a dry suit?

I'm avoiding starting work this morning, if you couldn't tell.

Even over a 5MM wet suit sleeve, my computer has nearly 6" of additional strap. I've noticed the same thing with other computers worn by other divers. Why so long? Is this to allow sufficient strap length over a dry suit?
That way they only have to make one version of the computer. You cut off the excess.

I'm avoiding starting work this morning, if you couldn't tell.

what was said above, better to make it super long and have you trim to length than increase production and stocking costs with a million different sizes. Similar thing with webbing harnesses for BP/W they all come big enough to fit someone about 6'8" and just as big around, so you trim to fit

Try it with a 7mm sleeve with another 7mm jacket sleeve over it...

Try it with a 7mm sleeve with another 7mm jacket sleeve over it...

If it ever came to that, I would have to go back to old school surfaced supplied air and warm water umbilical.:(

If it ever came to that, I would have to go back to old school surfaced supplied air and warm water umbilical.:(

Yeah, but seriously consider the 7mm thickness and whether you might some day do dry suits, which may be even thicker overall.

put it over a dry suit with heavy thermals, and then position it up on your forearm, near your elbow, and see what strap lenght might be required.....

better to produce them too long, than too short...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom