Cabo Pulmo or La Paz in Late July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All! My family and I are visiting San Jose Del Cabo at the end of July. We would like to dive for a day and we're choosing between Cabo Pulmo or La Paz. Which of the two would be a better choice at that time of the year? Please note that we are fairly new divers with an average of 10 dives - we got certified in June 2016. We would like for the sites to have good viz, warm water temp and rich marine life. We'd love to see the school of jacks and maybe bull sharks. Is July a good time for that?

Please advise!!! Thank you!

Unfortunately July is not the time for either. Diving conditions will be roughly the same in both locations so it's kind of a toss up. Sea lions are always a blast so my vote is for La Paz.

So July is a bad time for scuba diving in both areas? Oh no
I was told that the water temp in July in mid to high 60 degree F with 20-50 ft visibility. We were going to go in July but postponed our trip to September when the water is much warmer and the visibility is better. Of course, we are taking the chance of hurricanes since it is that time of season. On one of the scuba dives websites, here is what they say about the best time to go to the two places you are inquiring about.

- Cabo Pulmo from July - December
- La Paz (whale shark snorkeling) from October - January

With La Paz above, this timing is to snorkel with the whale sharks, the sea lions are there all the time. We opted to go to La Paz over Cabo Pulmo because I wanted to dive with the sea lions. We are also diving in Cabo San Lucas and then a day at the Corridor.

Wear a thick wet suit to stay warm. Good luck!

It's not a bad time to go scuba diving, just not the time for those two things you wanted to see. There is still a lot of marine life. Whale shark season is actually early September right through until April in La Paz and it is possible to see them outside of the season, you just need to go further away from the harbor. Sightings are not guaranteed at this time of year, that is why most operators don't advertise these trips outside of the season.

there are sea lions south of cabo pulmo along the coast. the dive site is usually listed as "sea lion colony".

I've visited CP during various seasons and it's always been great. One year tho, during hurricane season it got a bit rough so had to skip some dive days - this was an August trip.

My summer, fall and winter visits have had bull sharks at various sites. I don't recall Spring though. Senility is hitting!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom