Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A local dive owner has been using the pro for a while. He likes the comfort and design. Here is a link to the official video showing the various aspects of this BC.

Do these run a bit small? Sounds like it's going to be sometime in June before my LFS can get a XL-XXL in, but he said the one that had in on display ran small he thought.

Do these run a bit small? Sounds like it's going to be sometime in June before my LFS can get a XL-XXL in, but he said the one that had in on display ran small he thought.

They do not run small. If you're a XL, wait till your appropriate size is in stock.

I don't find the Hydros Pro runs small compared to other BCD lines unless you are coming from the newer Aqualung Dimension/ Axiom product line...I think those sizes run big. The XL-2XL should fit a belly size up to 58 inches. The problem I find with all Scubapro BCDs is that the integrated weight pockets ride too high...the torso length is too short for me.

One of the sales pitches from Scuba Pro is "Near-Zero inherent buoyancy means less lead." Can anyone who has used the Hydros Pro comment on whether they used less lead as compared to a traditional jacket style BCD? I dive 7mm in California and 1mm in Caribbean and am wondering if there would be a reduction in weight and if so how much?

Dropped 3lb using it in tropical water with a 3mm. Haven't dropped any weight using it with my dry suit back home.

I have a couple of questions.
First, I was told the reason the trim pockets on the Hydros were on the outside of the bladder rather than on the backplate because it would keep the diver from being pushed face down when on the surface. Have those of you who have used the Hydros found this to be true?

Which leads to my second question. If this is true, would trim weight on the cam band of any back inflate have the same effect?

Thanks.

I have a couple of questions.
First, I was told the reason the trim pockets on the Hydros were on the outside of the bladder rather than on the backplate because it would keep the diver from being pushed face down when on the surface. Have those of you who have used the Hydros found this to be true?

Which leads to my second question. If this is true, would trim weight on the cam band of any back inflate have the same effect?

Thanks.
The trim pockets on the Hydros are just trim pockets. A lot a marketing spin can be used, but they are just trim pockets. However, when you look at the newest back-inflate BCD models from Aqualung, Dimension as an example, the cam band sets to low. The trim weight is basically even with the weight pocket and does little to "trim" the body with weight distribution. The old Aqualung Balance was a better distribution. The Hydros Pro does place the trim weights higher on the BCD than the integrated weight pockets. This provides better horizontal weight distribution.

I believe that for divers that wear BCDs that are too big, or do not tighten the shoulder straps, or who add too much air to the BCD on the surface...any BCD that places the weight farther back from the body (Hydros Pro location or on cam bands) will help keep them horizontal at the surface. Correct fitting BCD, correct weighting, and correct inflation are often the solutions to staying vertical at the surface, not the location of the trim pockets. I believe correct placement of trim pockets should allow the diver to adjust the weight to balance trim while horizontal in the water. The greater top to bottom distance from the integrated weight pockets is what I look for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom