Pro-5000 Diver How Many On Board? When Awarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was nominated when I had 6,000 dives. I was rejected because I'd said something snarky about SSI. Apparently, you can only get the award if you contribute to the SSI diving industry. Being a crappy liveaboard owner doesn't count. Now that Mares owns SSI, I have no ****$ to give. And a little happy I don't hold a single SSI card.

It intrigues me and repulses me at the same time. I would love to not need the notoriety, but I do. Maybe one day I'll qualify and do something important for the industry.

@The Chairman, I don't really know that much about you, and I hope to get to meet you this year at DEMA, but seems to me running a forum site where divers can come together to learn more about Scuba Diving, that's a pretty good contribution to the industry. I know there are a lot of professionals in the industry that can't stand ScubaBoard, simply because they don't have the mental capacity to see past all the irrelevant information that plagues a lot of the post and topics (mainly all the senseless arguing over which agency, gear manufacture, or instructor is the best), or maybe they just don't care to, but I for one applaud all that you do to keep this site going. I refer all my students to ScubaBoard (with a disclaimer of course) and have proudly used some of the topics as discussions on our YouTube Channel. If you have the dives, I'm sure there are plenty of Platinum Pro's on here that would nominate you. Keep up the good work, and hit me up once you hit the 2500 dive mark.

Keep up the good work, and hit me up once you hit the 2500 dive mark.
I've been diving since 1969. I'm approaching 4k... but I am slowing down. It's been fun watching the changes over the years.

You need to get at least two sign-offs by SSI Platinum Pros. I was verified by Lamar Hires, Marcus Werneck and Dave Valaika.
Now, THAT'S an impressive lineup by itself. Don't know the middle guy, but am well acquainted with the other two.

I was nominated when I had 6,000 dives. I was rejected because I'd said something snarky about SSI. Apparently, you can only get the award if you contribute to the SSI diving industry. Being a crappy liveaboard owner doesn't count. Now that Mares owns SSI, I have no ****$ to give. And a little happy I don't hold a single SSI card.

Politics in diving often comes into play in everything. I tried to get Agnes Milowka inducted into the Women Divers Hall of Fame, but despite adding over 25,000 feet of tunnel to a popular cave system and doing the stunts in Sanctum she didn't earn enough street cred even with Cristina Zenato helping to get her inducted by sponsoring her nomination. I guess if you die pushing the limits of your passion then it looks bad for diving. That was our guess since women who've done less made the cut.

I was rejected because I'd said something snarky about SSI.
You??? Snarky??? You're just being Frank, er frank. :D :D :D

Now, THAT'S an impressive lineup by itself. Don't know the middle guy, but am well acquainted with the other two.

Marcus was a GUE Tech & Cave IT and the Director of PDIC Brasil. We started out diving with Frank Murphy as our instructor around the same time.

Pete, I have a reason for you to put in for the award you probably can't resist. To have @sam miller as one of your sponsors. :)

I've been diving since 1969. I'm approaching 4k... but I am slowing down. It's been fun watching the changes over the years.
Sounds like you have met the requirements then (atleast by the 2500 dive standard, it's up to the Foundation on the contribution) I will swing by the ScubaBoard booth this upcoming DEMA and chat with you. I don't have a problem nominating you, just go to SSI's website and download the app. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding someone else to nominate you. All that is left is the acceptance from the Platinum Pro Foundation and you are in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom