Steel backplates, all the same ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are all steel backplates pretty much all the same ?

My wife and I dive single tank DSS wings with Oxy soft plates. I also have an aluminum Dive Rite plate when I want more stability. Want to get a steel plate for my wife so she can use less lead on her waist.

Prices on steel backplates vary widely. $69 Blue Reef, $77 OMS, $80 Piranha, $135 Dive Rite, over $200 for others. I like my Dive Rite aluminum plate, but have not dove with any other hard plate.

In terms of quality? Pretty much. They're all hunks of stainless steel that weigh about 6lbs. The only differences are shape, finish and the brand name.

If I pay over $200 for a steel backplate, it better have decorative neon lights and a vibrating back massage function.

Last edited:
my perspective is skewed as I only have DSS plates. For me, due to being 6'-7", Tobin's long/x-long plates made a difference in where the plate fit me. Nobody else (that I am aware of) has long plates outside of custom. Also, the rubber grommet webbing keeper (or the GHA should you require one) are really nice elements only on DSS plates. Bend angle also comes into play. The DSS plate has a shallower bend, keeping everything closer to you. Finish on plates can also vary across the brands, and will drive prices as there is a cost involved in refinement. Some steel plates don't have webbing slots for cam bands. Not having to pay for the additional cutting is a choice some have made in production. Keep in mind, you then must use a STA (cost) and that moves the tank further off your back.

For many folks, they will feel no difference. To me, it makes a difference.

I will also say, however, that there are some plates that the costs are purely driven my branding....

YMMV

my perspective is also skewed due to a long back. I can't comfortably and arguably safely dive a one piece harness with a normal length backplate. It cuts off circulation to my arms really quickly on land.
The rubber grommets are also really nice since it still allows quick and easy adjustment, but really locks it in and prevents it from sliding in the real world. Fit and finish is on par with that of Halcyon.

A lot of the cheaper plates don't take the time to really finish all of the edges so can be a bit sharper, but they're all basically bent pieces of steel.

The biggest thing is making sure a plate is the right length. Current backplates are cut to the length they are cut for two convenient reasons. First and foremost is it maximizes the use of the sheet of steel they are cut from which minimizes waste and cost. Conveniently that also coincides with a good length for most people of the 5'6" to 6'1" ish range which is most people. Outside of that range, and you really are better off going with one that is the right length. Other nod to DSS is the weight plates that are really slick and a lot better than weighted STA's in my opinion

If I were you I would contact Tobin, tell him that you already have a couple of his wings and are looking at getting a steel plate for your wife for the reasons mentioned and ask if he would consider giving you a discount since you already have the wings and are just needing a plate. May be pleasantly surprised, may not be, but you may be

Are all steel backplates pretty much all the same ?

My wife and I dive single tank DSS wings with Oxy soft plates. I also have an aluminum Dive Rite plate when I want more stability. Want to get a steel plate for my wife so she can use less lead on her waist.

Prices on steel backplates vary widely. $69 Blue Reef, $77 OMS, $80 Piranha, $135 Dive Rite, over $200 for others. I like my Dive Rite aluminum plate, but have not dove with any other hard plate.

Will the slots fit the wing? My Al plate I cut with the jigsaw and dremel, I wouldn't want to do that on a steel one.
-- or you could add 2 more pounds of an STA.

If you use doubles, get a backplate with a slot in it for the bottom bolt or get the bottom hole slotted. Why they are not all made this way is a mystery to me. The cost of getting one slotted will probably overcome the cost differential between one that's slotted and one that's not if the former is more expensive than the latter.

This, er, goes double if you ever rent doubles.

Personal I hate that SS backplate is not mirror polished.

My first BP was that style from SEPA and I hate it - like to be sandblasted with beads .
DSS have same surface treatment from pictures?

But also I know that cost only (mirror) electro-polishing cca 70€ because I have used that service on my own prolonged plate . There is also price price jump.

Otherwise I'm happy with BP from DIRZONE cost me cca 110€

I am 6' 1". I have a DSS SS plate, size Large. I have a DSS Kydex plate, size medium. And I have a Blue Reef SS plate that was $50, on sale from Leisure Pro.

The different sizes makes no difference to my comfort or usage.

I don't like the rubber grommets on my DSS SS plate. It makes it too hard to adjust the webbing. My BR plate was too easy, so I put a tri-slide on the webbing and threaded it through only 1 slot on each bottom/side. That makes the adjustability "just right" for me.

The main difference between the DSS and BR plates that I notice is the DSS plate is flatter. That is a little nicer with a single tank because the tank is a little closer to your back/center of gravity. With doubles, it makes no difference at all.

If somebody stole all my rigs, I would probably get a Mares soft plate for single tank diving and the BR plate again for doubles diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom