How do I dive in California!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, if I was able to go on the earliest boat that would be great. I'm still trying to figure it out though, because this time I drove out after work. I got there before midnight but that makes for a difficult early morning rise. If I could get out early and go to bed early I could certainly catch an early boat. I suppose if I drove out on say Friday, rode the boat over, maybe stayed on the Island, dived in the morning up till maybe early afternoon, rode the boat back and drove back that night that might could work?

What are the entries like at Shaw's cove and Cresent bay? I've heard there are plenty of spots that don't have super difficult entries. Is it always tough? Are there times when it's calm? How much worse is the visibility?

I found this video some time back
I've watched it a bunch of times. I know these are probably most ideal conditions but the entry here doesn't look bad at all and the conditions look pretty okay as well. Is it not like this often or something?

As far as the diving goes I absolutely loved it. I was told the viz was about "40 feet" and that it gets better, but I saw that within that 40 or so feet the water was so clear and there was SO much sea life. I loved the beautiful kelp forests and all the marine life. I absolutely loved the diving. Fun fun fun! Does coastal beach diving ever get that good? Places like Cresent Bay and Shaw's cove? We had a bit of a current and tide to deal with but it was not a big deal, we corrected for it pretty easily. We had no trouble and so much fun that we had to force ourselves out of the water and almost missed the last boat! (Can get a long dive out of those steel tanks...) Does this mean on a calm day we could get by doing a beach dive some where like Shaw's Cove?

I still want to look into the Spectre as well, that seems like another good option, but I was hoping there were some beach dives in the OC that might be anywhere near as good as that dive at the dive park. We had a blast! Can't wait till the next time we get to dive. Such a easy drive from Phoenix too.

Having gone shore diving all along the SoCal coast I settled on Orange County for the most part. My favorite spot was Reef Point (sometimes known as Scotsman's Cove but that is actually a different cove). The kelp varies from year to year and is never quite as spectacular as at Catalina but beautiful none-the-less. The visibility is almost always less than Catalina but I've had some great dives with 10-20' vis. Calm days usually have clearer water but just because the surf is kinda high that does not necessarily mean it's not a good day to dive. Reef Point can have 8-9' surf but it's often very nicely formed. No matter what you will have undertow along with surf. Once you understand how things work you can use the undertow to make your entry quick and easy. When you are exiting back to shore, just swim like hell along with the oncoming waves (from below, of course), locate a big rock, and hang on while the wave recedes (wear gloves). That way you don't lose ground. When the next wave comes along swim like hell again. I would not want to try this with split fins.. Usually about the third or fourth wave will plant you on the sand and if you quickly back away from the water you can be out of the way before the next wave hits. Make your gear as streamlined as possible. I prefer no BC, no computer, a low-profile mask, and a steel 72 rather than an aluminum 80. Make sure your mask and fins are very snug so they don't get removed by the waves. I suggest spending some time with just your free-diving gear getting used to the surf before attempting it with SCUBA.

I've gone shore diving just in OC probably about 2000 times so it must be pretty good! There is a huge variety of life but not in the same numbers as the Channel Islands.

Several years ago the State bought the beaches that include Crystal Cove, Scotsman's Cove, and Reef Point and named it Crystal Cove State Beach. We used to park along Pacific Coast Highway at the top of the access road and walk down. Now parking on PCH is illegal and you have to pay the ******* government $15 to park and the closest space is about 1/2 mile from where we used to go down. They made it a marine park but hardly anyone ever goes diving there any more. Scotsman's Cove is very near the parking lot and still sees many divers. I heard they even have a restaurant there now but after having dove both locations Reef Point was the only option. Someone said the restaurant will validate your parking but I don't know if it's true. Soon after they started all of this nonsense I bought a boat and avoided the whole parking mess.

Like I think I said earlier in this thread Shaw's Cove is pretty good and the dive shop is only a few blocks away but get there early for parking. Chances are there will be lots of divers there (unless the beach is closed due to excessive surf--LOL ) and I'd think there would probably be someone who would be willing to take you through the surf and let you tag along. Of course there's the possibility that they might stare at you like a three-headed flying rhinoceros if you say you don't know how to get through the surf but that would indicate they are locals so that would be a good thing. No matter what anyone tells you don't attempt to put on or remove your fins in the water. Check the tide tables. I like to make my entry right at high tide. Things tend to calm down for a bit. If you wait for low tide you might be swimming through a lot of rocks. The reason they don't allow diving when the surf is high is because there are people who don't know how to get through it.

I also would not rule out La Jolla Cove. I spent all of my summers there free-diving and spearfishing before I became certified but have never gone scuba diving there. I loved it back then so I'll have to make a point to go back.

I found this video some time back
I've watched it a bunch of times. I know these are probably most ideal conditions but the entry here doesn't look bad at all and the conditions look pretty okay as well. Is it not like this often or something?

It's generally clearer in the winter but that looks like a pretty clear day to me. At Crystal Cove State Park I've seen many garabaldis, kelp bass, senoritas, bat rays, morays, octopi, nudibranchs, leopard sharks, guitarfish, opaleye, vairous perch, and some very large sheepshead, to name a few. Most of the lobsters I have seen were the day before or the day after lobster season opens and closes.

Wow! I don't see myself ever trying to make it out in surf like that, would not enjoy that at all. Most videos and pictures I see of Shaws Cove, Cresent Bay and some of the other spots show it pretty and calm. Isn't that generally the case for those spots?

I've seen many divers going out in the cove but I've never done it myself. I always went to Point Vicente. At the bottom of the path there are some big rocks. During high tide you can enter between the rocks. You wait for a big wave, jump in, it sucks you out, and you make a hard left turn just before you get smashed on the rocks. Very easy and quick entry, but tricky. When exiting you catch a big wave and it drops you on the beach but you have to back out of the water in a hurry :) You can also enter/exit to the right of the big rocks but I find the other way simpler.

The trail leading down at Point Vicente is nicknamed Cardiac Path if that tells you anything :wink:

I love me some shore diving... but... if I'm driving far with limited control in terms of timing the conditions... I'd try to hop on a 2-3 day boat... I dive with the power scuba group sometimes and they have some folks that trek out from AZ....check out the Pacific star and the Horizons' calendars online and see what clubs/shops have the boat when you can make it out and sign-up. You pay less for the boat trip than you would for many hotels and the air fills and grub are included... you should be AOW or above to be safe and get your monies worth.
I like Power Scuba not just because they are inexperience but they are a nice group and safe. There are a ton of good shops and clubs too...

If you are debating between Shaws and Crescent, I'd go with Shaws. The wave action tends to be less there and it is a short swim to the reef.

Back
Top Bottom