Marsa Alam without a Live-Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a13firman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Quick question that I did try to search before posting this. I'm looking to go to Marsa Alam to dive for a week at the end of a June on a solo trip. I'm probably going to dive with Emperor as I've heard good things. While staying at a resort, though, there is not guarantee I'd be able to hit Elphinstone, Dolphin House, and Abu Dabab in one week. I'll probably be able to get to at least one.

My question pertains to the other reefs in the area: Marsa Alam Dive Sites, Descriptions and Maps - by Emperor Divers

Are these dive sites still pretty good? Anyone have experience with them? I just want to be sure it would still be worth it without hitting all the well-known sites.

Thanks!

The region of Marsa alam offers great dives. I was in Lahami bay. No problems with the quality of the reefs. They are roughly an hour navigation from the coast.

Thanks! And good sea life on the reefs close to shore?

Never dived close to shore, so as it comes to snorkeling/dives on the beach, I do not know. Sometimes, due to rough sea, the dive boat does not go to the outside reefs, but it is OK.

Anyway, the area is not comparable to Hurghada in terms of reef health!

Hi everyone,

Quick question that I did try to search before posting this. I'm looking to go to Marsa Alam to dive for a week at the end of a June on a solo trip. I'm probably going to dive with Emperor as I've heard good things. While staying at a resort, though, there is not guarantee I'd be able to hit Elphinstone, Dolphin House, and Abu Dabab in one week. I'll probably be able to get to at least one.

My question pertains to the other reefs in the area: Marsa Alam Dive Sites, Descriptions and Maps - by Emperor Divers

Are these dive sites still pretty good? Anyone have experience with them? I just want to be sure it would still be worth it without hitting all the well-known sites.

Thanks!

I've been going to Marsa Alam for a week of diving on a yearly basis for a number of years now and I would dare to say that it would be very hard to find a crappy dive site there.... at least within the 50km north or south of Marsa Alam, which is what I've seen up to now. It's ridiculous how beautiful it is. It's God's aquarium (or who/what ever you believe in).

I personally dive with Red Sea Diving Safari's from Marsa Shagra. It's the perfect vacation for me because I can do whatever I want whenever I want all week long. It's a "diving camp" though so you live in a bungalow and there is literally nothing there except where you sleep, where you eat and the Red Sea.

In my opinion a more perfect place for a diving vacation does not exist on this planet. :)

As for the dive sites, Dolphin House is... meh. you stand a relatively good chance of encountering dolphins anyway (click link below to see me diving with a "random" dolphin who just joined our little group) so unless hanging around on an otherwise boring dive in the HOPE that a dolphin comes to you, then I wouldn't put it on the top of the list. If something has to get scrapped for any reason, scrap that.

Elphinstone is a deep/wall drift dive. You stand an excellent chance of seeing sharks there. I would do that dive for sure provided the currents are running from north to south. I've dived it with a reverse current before (south to north) and unless you're a VERY strong diver you want to skip it on those days. The day we did it with a reverse current the least experienced diver they took had 750-odd dives and even then it was a real roller coaster with currents going everywhere, including straight down. When the guide launched the DSMB near the end of the dive it didn't even go to the surface at first. It first launched horizontally and didn't start floating up to the surface for maybe a 5 count. On normal days (north to south current) it's an easy and very impressive dive, though, so don't let me scare you.

Abu Dabab is a nice shallow dive over a sandy bottom. It's a nice and easy dive and you will almost certainly see (large) turtles there but don't let them tell you than you'll see a dugong. The last diver I personally know who saw a dugong at Abu Dabab was in .... 2008 is memory serves. I personally love the turtles -- they are my favorite marine animals -- so I go there every time I'm there, but finding a dugong there is like trying to spot a fire fly in a monsoon. Go for the turtles!

A better "shallow" dive if you're not into turtles is to do one of the shallow wrecks like the Abu Ghusun. It's in a very diveable depth, IIRC 20m at the bottom and 8m on top of the wreck. Beside the wreck there is a large field of sea grass where you stand a good chance of seeing sea horses. The reef adjacent to the wreck is also very pretty.

I'm not familiar with all of the sites on the website you linked but like I said, I wouldn't worry about any of them being crappy. There is also a fair amount of variation. If you want to see anemones and clown fish, no problem, they have a dive for that. Coral tunnels? done. Deep? no problem. Pretty much a guarantee of turtles and depending on the season reef sharks are common..... the list goes on and on. I've made hundreds of dives in that area and I just can't imagine ever getting bored.

One last tip is to dive at night. With a full moon you can even make a night dive without turning on your flashlight (done that, it's aMAZing!). The nocturnal life on the reef is very different than during the day and even if you haven't been diving at night before, take a course and go do it. Seriously!

R..

Me and my dive buddy

Hi @a13firman

I stayed at Marina Lodge and dived with Emperor Divers for a day prior to leaving on a liveaboard Emperor Divers and Marina Lodge Hotel April 2016 I had a very nice 3 tank dive and thought highly of the operation. The trips to Elphinstone and Abu Dabab would be great, don't know anything about Dolphin House. They also have a house reef and local RIB dives, I was not there long enough to give that a try. Are you staying at Marina Lodge, where Emperor is located, or elsewhere?

Good diving, Craig

Hi,

There is great shore diving make no mistake, don't miss Marsa Egla for the Dugong, also seen the Dugong at Sheikh Malegg, seen a Malabar Grouper the size of a motorbike at Abu Hamra and at Abu Sawatir, seen huge Turtles in Abu Dabab bay . . . I am not even talking about the small stuff . . . seen reef sharks at Sha'ab Marsa Alam.
I have been diving with Coraya Divers in Coraya Bay they have an extensive daily program you can choose from, Seaworld Diving are great too so are Colona Divers out of Port Ghalib.

Click on this link Habibi El Quseir | Red Sea and more…. just to wet your appetite .

El Quseir and Pharaoh Dive Club anyone ? 1,5 hrs from Hurghada or less than 1 hr drive from Marsa Alam airport.

Happy diving

Emperor's liveaboards are great, so have fun with them.
For what concerns diving from shore, or very close to it, the dives are pleasant, colorful and very easy. Sometime with surprise (dugongo - very rare, turtles often). You will not regret diving along the shoreline - their house reef.
Happy diving

Hi everyone,

Yes, still in pretty good state.

If you do not want a liveaboard, try to avoid the warmer monthes in summer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom