Lp hose on a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soggybadger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. Just a quick question out of curiosity. Does anyone on here ever fit a redundant lp hose on a pony (diving a dry suit for example) and why or why not? This would be for recreational diving not technical. Thanks.

I put LPI's on all of my regulators. Don't believe in pony bottles, but all of my stage and deco bottles have them.
1. better to have and not need, than to need and not have
2. quick ability to check IP
3. redundant inflation if for whatever reason you need it. Particularly useful in cave diving, not much use in recreational diving as you'll be able to make a direct ascent to the surface.

2. is enough reason for me to put them on.

I put LPI's on all of my regulators. Don't believe in pony bottles, but all of my stage and deco bottles have them.
1. better to have and not need, than to need and not have
2. quick ability to check IP
3. redundant inflation if for whatever reason you need it. Particularly useful in cave diving, not much use in recreational diving as you'll be able to make a direct ascent to the surface.

2. is enough reason for me to put them on.
Thanks for the reply. You posted exactly what I was thinking and why. My pony is big and it seemed like a good idea. Is there anything I should keep in mind with having one on? Thanks. Iain

Thanks for the reply. You posted exactly what I was thinking and why. My pony is big and it seemed like a good idea. Is there anything I should keep in mind with having one on? Thanks. Iain

not really, just make sure it's tucked in a hose retainer so it doesn't start flopping about. If you have a swivel turret, you may want to get a bit creative in routing so it doesn't come up and out when you deploy the reg, but that's all very gear specific

some people will also use it for an smb if they have the type of inflate on it that you can use the inflator hose

some people will also use it for an smb if they have the type of inflate on it that you can use the inflator hose

conflicting levels of laziness there lol. It's more work to inflate with the power inflator hose than it is to orally inflate, but people want to do it anyway thinking it's less work... I've seen that before and I just giggle every time

i have never tried it myself as i rarely dive with a pony and i dont have an smb with that type of inflator. many cold water divers will not use a reg to inflate their smb for fear of free flows. and sometimes orally inflating with lips that are numb is not the easiest in the world either. so i guess the idea is to avoid both of those by using the lp hose. it also would keep the smb farther away from your body to help prevent entanglement if the hose was long enough. like i said, i have never done it but it is an option.

conflicting levels of laziness there lol. It's more work to inflate with the power inflator hose than it is to orally inflate, but people want to do it anyway thinking it's less work... I've seen that before and I just giggle every time

That's a broad brush.

I have dived in water so cold I physically couldn't create a seal with my lips to orally inflate. I've also done shallow ocean dives where the skipper wants a massive smb going up.

It's not laziness. It's using the right tool for the job at the right time.

Edit - I don't use a pony and have never felt the need to have stuff dangling off my stages. But if it works for you then crack on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom