Getting First Wing Setup, NEED HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2000 is twice what is used on eg an Xdeep wing, which is already pretty bulletproof if you ask most people...

Not saying it's a huge issue, just saying that some have argued against those wings here around.

I have a 2000 denier outer wing and it's fine. i would recommend dirzone wing. MEGA QUALITY.

I have decided to get the apeks wtx d 30 psd as my lads no longer sells finnsub and apeks is amazing too. And have decided to get a Dir zone complete 3mm SS backplate with harness. Thanks for your help guys, it's hard to find honest opinions for products when your new to diving. :)

I have decided to get the apeks wtx d 30 psd as my lads no longer sells finnsub and apeks is amazing too. And have decided to get a Dir zone complete 3mm SS backplate with harness. Thanks for your help guys, it's hard to find honest opinions for products when your new to diving. :)

are you saving money by breaking it up like that instead of buying a full DIR-Zone or Apeks kit?

Just make sure that the Apeks wing has no issue with a DIR zone backplate though. IIRC a few brands decided to not follow what others did.

Patoux, yes they say it's universally good so I'll research further.

T-bone, yes it's costing me less to get a Dir zone BP harness with apeks wing rather than all apeks. I could get Dir zone wing as well but I think the apeks wing looks more streamlined and overall better quality.

First I was thinking of getting 6mm plate but I researched further and found it's cheaper to get a 3 mm and then get a p or v weight?( Which one?) and its more functional because I can take off p/v weight when I don't need it or want it.

Since European brands are being considered, how about Agir-brokk blackbird. The pieces of my kit that are Agir (aluminum STA and webbing) are by far the highest quality that I have used/handled and the wings get very good reviews.

Patoux, yes they say it's universally good so I'll research further.

T-bone, yes it's costing me less to get a Dir zone BP harness with apeks wing rather than all apeks. I could get Dir zone wing as well but I think the apeks wing looks more streamlined and overall better quality.

First I was thinking of getting 6mm plate but I researched further and found it's cheaper to get a 3 mm and then get a p or v weight?( Which one?) and its more functional because I can take off p/v weight when I don't need it or want it.

dirzone make a p weight that fits your plate perfectly. I personally prefer the smaller weight and then have a couple of 1kg trim weights on cambands.

Xdeep are amaaaaaazing, but way too expensive for me. And halcyon is way too expensive also.

Trust me, I thought Halcyon was too expensive at first too and bought another brand wing/back plate. It's worth every penny. I would strongly recommend waiting till you can afford a Halcyon, then buy it once and have it for a lifetime. You *will* save money in the long run.

Trust me, I thought Halcyon was too expensive at first too and bought another brand wing/back plate. It's worth every penny. I would strongly recommend waiting till you can afford a Halcyon, then buy it once and have it for a lifetime. You *will* save money in the long run.

based on what evidence? what did you purchase and end up regretting and why? What did the magical Blue H do for you that the other didn't, and why?

I'm not sure the magical H is worth the price in terms of quality. However, I do know dms who have sent them back to Halycon and have said the aftercare is mega. How long the warranty is on a Halcyon unit is I don't know? If you want to save money I would recommend buying a second hand plate and harness and buying a brand new wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom