Deep 6 Soft Eddy 2XL vs. OMS Slipstream 2XL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems to me the OMS Slipstream often comes up as a competitor to the Deep 6 Eddy fin, as a roughly 'jet fin style' yet lighter weight paddle fin. Thought a hand-on comparison might be of interest to somebody. There are other threads I could've posted in, but then it might be lost in the shuffle.

I wear a size 15 (15 EE in New Balance shoes). My Atomic Aquatics Smoke-on-the-Water split fins did okay with 3 mm SeaSoft Sunray tropical boots, but were too tight with 6 mm SeaSoft Stealth boots (note: SeaSofts have an athletic sole, nice for shore diving rough areas). Started a big, long thread on Big Foot Fin Options, corresponded with a LDS (Waterdogs Scuba in Clarksville, TN; helpful folks!).

Settled on a pair of 2XL OMS Slipstreams (tried XL; obviously too small). They fit, but I got some foot cramping testing them out in the quarry, to I picked up a pair of Neosport 7 mm boots instead of the Stealths. Did 24 dives by the Channel Islands of California last August; seemed to do fine.

Recent trip to Jupiter, Florida, not wearing Lycra socks this time, I noticed the Slipstreams were pressing the sides of my big toes. Not painful, but with multiple days of repetitive diving could be an issue. I kept hearing about the wonderful foot pocket of the Eddy fin, Deep 6 had a sweet price, and they still had some of the softer material 2XL version in stock. Bought a pair. Hit the quarry yesterday and tried them out (with the 7 mm Neosports).

They did okay. I'm chubby and not particularly fit, mostly flutter kick (or some permutation thereof), and even the soft version are thought to be rather stiff, so getting a cramp in both calves near the end of a roughly 1:15 dive (shallow; couldn't find my full wetsuit) wasn't too disappointing. People ask about buoyancy, so I let each Eddy fin go; in fresh water, they floated tip up barely enough to keep those 'tip holes' out of the water.

I think I feel the tip of my big toe reaching the end of the Eddy foot pocket, but I don't feel uncomfortable pressure, and it's not pressing the side of the big toe as much. The foot pocket is obviously roomier than the Slipstream. Too soon to tell, but tentatively I like the Eddy better. Let's look at some measurements side-by-side. Eddy on top, Slipstream on the bottom.

IMG_2845_zpsylrtzuk1.jpg

I measure the 2XL Slipstream at 22 5/8" long, the Eddy at 24 1/2". Width is a wash. For packing in a suitcase without bending your fins, the Slipstream is a little more compact. On the other hand, I like those pull tabs on the back of the Eddy's spring straps better than the OMS approach. Also notice the Eddy has 2 slots for the spring straps to attach (so you can tighten it); OMS only has one (maybe there's another way to tighten OMS springs I don't know?). On the Eddy, the top of the fin pocket doesn't come nearly as far back as the bottom; on the OMS, it does. I'm not sure how significant that difference is.

When you look at the fin pockets head on, you see the big difference. OMS is a little wider at the bottom, but the Eddy is roomier overall. And from the overhead photo, notice how the OMS foot pocket looks to 'turn in' more narrowly? Might explain why it presses the sides of my big toes.

IMG_2847_zpsal0lg9vr.jpg

IMG_2846_zpssjesyp3o.jpg

Measuring interior dimensions (trying to exclude fin thickness), I get some rough measurements:

Slipstream foot pocket entrance: ~ 4 7/8" wide at bottom x ~ 3 1/2" tall. I didn't measure width higher because it doesn't look like it changes quickly.

Eddy foot pocket entrance: ~ 4" wide at bottom, but ~ 4 3/4" wide maybe 1/2 way up where it's widest, x ~ 4 3/4" tall.

So what's it look like on the foot?

Eddy.

IMG_2851_zpshnoskfgy.jpg

IMG_2852_zps1dccnhgs.jpg

Slipstream.

IMG_2850_zpshjirymlj.jpg

IMG_2853_zpsvwvuzobb.jpg

In a nutshell, I like the Eddys a bit better so far (don't know why I don't recall the Slipstreams pressing my toes in California, though). The Eddy's pocket seems big enough for me; actually a bit loose, except at the toes, where it seems adequate. Might have to try it with my 3 mm Sunrays someday and see how it works out.

Richard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Richard. But seriously, we all know you didn't really try a real pair of Deep 6. The fins in your pictures are black not orange! :D

I forgot to mention that! On my recent trip to Jupiter, FL, before I got the Eddys, I learned for shark feed diving they didn't want us wearing bright, contrasty colors. Since the 2XL's came in a choice of black or orange, and knowing basic black is always appropriate, I settled on black.

Gotta admit, orange would make me a lot easier to keep track of when buddy diving.

I'd be interested to hear what ratios the colors of Eddy fin are sold in, which both colors are available for a given size. What % orange, what % black?

Richard.

Yeah, 2XL Eddys don't come in orange. This fin and the Hollis Batfins (F1s) are the only ones that don't pinch the top of my feet. The eEddys are the Roo-roo-roomiest foot pocket on the market.

Weird. I thought I had a choice at the time! Now I'm plagued with a desire for orange! The pocket does look more similar to my Atomic splits.

Either is a big improvement over some Turtle Fins I tried. Still can't grasp the reasoning behind their foot pocket.

Richard.

@drrich2, have you tried the Hollis F1 Bat fins? I have the same size feet a you (15ee, New Balance) and the best fitting fins I've found are the bat fins.

I've thought about buying the Deep6 fins, although I'll try to find a pair I can try on before I make the plunge...

Ummm, @The Chairman, do you wear a XXL Deep6 fin??? Will they be making the trip to Roatan with you??? :)

Never have tried Hollis fins. The near neutral buoyancy aspect attracted me to both the Eddy & Slipstream fins. From what I understand, some people who dive dry suits are prone to get foot heavy, and for example like Jet Fins, which are quite heavy.

On the other hand, I've never been in a dry suit. For this quarry dive, the lycra hot skin had negligible effect on buoyancy, leaving me a chunky big dude in a 3 mm Henderson Thermoprene shorty with all 8 lbs weight in my Sherwood Avid BCD's rear trim pockets, packing a Spare Air 3 for redundancy (solo dive, & yes, for what I was doing & where, it was fine). I got what I at least think was decent horizontal positioning fairly easily.

Somehow I've come by the impression many wetsuit divers tend to be foot heavy, though I don't know the actual prevalence of that. Anybody prone to be foot heavy may benefit from light fins.

Richard.

That's unfortunate. I know Pete has used both fins (bat fins and deep6 fins) and I believe he now prefers the deep6 fins. I wonder how much better they are, in his opinion?? Worth the $100?

@drrich2, have you tried the Hollis F1 Bat fins? I have the same size feet a you (15ee, New Balance) and the best fitting fins I've found are the bat fins.

I've thought about buying the Deep6 fins, although I'll try to find a pair I can try on before I make the plunge...

Ummm, @The Chairman, do you wear a XXL Deep6 fin??? Will they be making the trip to Roatan with you??? :)
Im pretty sure @cerich and @Deep Six would refund you if you bought a pair and they didn't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom