Dive Master program but where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking forward to doing my Dive Master training/internship in June and have considered Belize because I know a great instructor in San Pedro who I got to know from a previous vacation. I really like it there but I have been there and also considering a different place to do the training.

Is there any specific country/place in the Caribbean or Central America that you can suggest doing the professional training? Did you do your Dive Master in any "exotic" place?

Go to Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen: Free PADI DIVEMASTER INTERNSHIP with Dressel Divers

If you're planning to work as a DM train where you plan to work. Otherwise, it's unlikely you'll get an opportunity to even apply for a job as one. I would not consider a DM that trained in the Caribbean in a 3 mil or shorty to help me. You'd need drysuit experience, very cold water (think 36-38 degrees), low vis (2 ft or so) experience, and be able to take over the class at any time in the classroom, pool, or open water. Under supervision, of course.
If you don't plan on actually working as a DM don't waste time and money getting a DM cert. It won't improve your diving or do very much for your diving knowledge. Tech training or a Master Diver program like NAUI and SEI offer will do more than the DM training will do. Both are intended to offer instructor level (and actually more than many OW instructors) knowledge and skills without the teaching component. Plus, you'll not have to shell out money for dues and insurance every year.
I know a "DM" who never bothered to get insured. So so diver, but he was technically never a DM. He just had the card and helped out with a few classes for a shop while an intern. But without the insurance and paying dues, he was never a DM.

My quick answer to the question would be, it's not where you do it but with whom that is important. A goo

Give thought as to why you are taking the DM course and what you wish to achieve at the end. Be honest as to your weaknesses where you want to improve upon.

For me, I chose the DM because I felt the time was right for me to progress to Instructor. Thus I wanted to focus on that, as well as finding out if I was the right material to go forward.

I personally wanted to be challenged too (I already held an equivalent qualification with another agency but that didn't' have the teaching element). For me I wanted to make the most of the journey rather than attend to get the card. I learned a lot, even in areas I thought I was okay in. I found that I was stronger in some of teh areas I thought I was weak in then I thought too. This is why I say chose your instructor carefully.

That said I've seen people who just want to put in the minimum effort to pass as quickly as they can and get the card.

As to location - i.e taking the course in a similar environment to that you will be diving/working post qualification. I don't think that's important, as long take time in adapt the skills you've been taught to the new environment,and take time with the transition.

Back
Top Bottom