Fins feel loose in drysuit, feet clench and cramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When in trim some air flows up to my feet. Not (always) enough to pull me out of trim, but enough to make a small air bubble in each boot, which makes my fins feel loose - like they're coming off. Then I subconsciously clench my feet to try to get a better grip on the fins, and the next thing I know I'm exhausted and my feet are cramping up.

I've tried making sure my ankle straps are on tight, and the fin straps are as high up as possible on the back of the leg. Also, the boots feel almost too tight when I put the fins on. I was thinking about getting larger fins because these are such an effort to don.

I haven't found anyone else complain about this, so is it just me? Maybe I need to find a scuba therapist that can help me to avoid clenching those feet.

What kind of boots?
If you have a buddy that owns them, you can try a pair of gaiters and see if that helps. It's kind of a waste of money to buy them "just to try".

I have the DUI Turbo Sole Boots. So the sole is the only firm part of the boot, and the rest feels like crushed neoprene. The theory as I understand it is that this would make finning easier as there is less restriction around the ankles. I should also mention that I'm only putting minimal air into the suit to avoid crushing. Also I'm wearing two pairs of thick synthetic socks. I'll try it with one pair. My feet aren't getting at all cold with both on.

Thanks for the tip on gaiters. I've never heard of them before - I'll look into it.

Thanks for the tip on gaiters. I've never heard of them before - I'll look into it.

I have the same suit and boots. Yes to fin keepers. Absolutely................we don't need no stinging "gators".

Last edited:
I have the DUI Turbo Sole Boots. So the sole is the only firm part of the boot, and the rest feels like crushed neoprene. The theory as I understand it is that this would make finning easier as there is less restriction around the ankles. I should also mention that I'm only putting minimal air into the suit to avoid crushing. Also I'm wearing two pairs of thick synthetic socks. I'll try it with one pair. My feet aren't getting at all cold with both on.

No need for gaiters only fin keepers and skill.

Looks like an easy enough fix. I'll find some and see how it goes. I had trouble with the strap slipping off and someone at DUI suggested keepers for that. I was thinking of these as separate issues, but I guess the keepers might solve both. That'll be a welcome improvement!

Had the same issue. Switched from turbo soles to rock boots with laces = problem solved. Never ever will go back to turbo soles, not even with gaiters and fin keepers and such. Hated them.

Common problem. Try a pair of fin keepers over the Turbo Soles, inside the fins(Omer Rubber Fin Keeper).

Love fin keepers!
My drysuit boots are 1 size too darn large. I though space for 2 wool socks w/ a little extra room for loft and warmth would be good - I was very wrong. Fin keepers make all the difference in the world. I do use gaiters too, but they don't make a great difference (nice, but not a big deal to be w/o).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom