High Water Levels Causing Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd contact the operator directly. I'm doing a couple of dives with them on the Friday before your weekend charter, so I'm hoping things are more sorted then also.

I spoke with Allisha two days ago. They are going up there the first weekend in June to begin operations. Guess we will find out then.... I don't think they realize how bad it is.

Yes, I know they were out on Lake Huron already, but Huron's not so high.

Any and all updates on shore dive conditions in Brockville/Prescott areas very appreciated here.
So please keep 'em comin'!

I have 10+ divers coming up on the July 1st long weekend, plus an Advanced OW class, and will have to scamble for other ideas if the road to the Connie is closed.
I guess maybe Canteen park for shore and a night dives will be ok no matter what as alternatives.

Its also not looking good for camping, as I heard half of Grenville Park is underwater.

Yes, I know they were out on Lake Huron already, but Huron's not so high.

No, but we have had flooding on the St. Clair river, especially in the flats. The idiots are b!tching because the freighter wakes are coming right up to the back door. All the older houses are fine as they know the lakes fluctuate.

Off note, because the water levels are high, many of the fixed docks in harbors and boat launches are underwater making it a PITA to launch boats. I have to wear my drysuit just to launch my boat to dive the river!

The water was up to the access gate at Centeen Park a few days ago. I swam from the park to the wreck of the Robert Gaskin and back in doubles on a night dive. Other than higher water level there was nothing unusual about the dive. Current wasn't a problem. Visibility was normal. Not great. Not bad. In the USA, the Islander access ramp is damaged so shore entry is best long Cornwall Bros. store at right of parking area. Vis was 30 - 40 ft. Sackets Harbor has poor vis from surface to 20 feet and 40 - 50 feet of visibility below the thermocline.

The water was up to the access gate at Centeen Park a few days ago. I swam from the park to the wreck of the Robert Gaskin and back in doubles on a night dive. Other than higher water level there was nothing unusual about the dive. Current wasn't a problem. Visibility was normal. Not great. Not bad. In the USA, the Islander access ramp is damaged so shore entry is best long Cornwall Bros. store at right of parking area. Vis was 30 - 40 ft. Sackets Harbor has poor vis from surface to 20 feet and 40 - 50 feet of visibility below the thermocline.

Thanks for the report. Hoping to be south and do that dive next weekend. Haven't tried it at night though.
Regards,
Cameron

Cameron, the line to the wreck from shore currently ends just to the right of the little sunken Thundercraft. Last year, someone ran line right to the Gaskin for a time. It's now ending at the usual spot. If you do it at night, I'd recommend using a spool or reel and tie into the end of the line. Angle off about 20 degrees to your right and you should hit the bow of the Gaskin. Due to boat traffic, I treat it more like a cave dive - especially at night. Doubles, rule of thirds, 3 lights, continuous guideline. It's nice to be able to go all the way home underwater on the trail you followed without having to blaze a new one on instruments-only flight.

I had my Light Monkey fail due to a cord that decided to give up the ghost on that last dive. I switched to a Dive Rite back-up and kept diving instead of returning home. Ended up losing battery power in my back-up light on the way back. Went to my Intova light, but I could see okay, where the Dive Rite failed, in the glow of the street lights nearing the exit point.

The flood of the Intova has decent penetration in caves, but sucked in the river conditions. I like the Intova's push button for solo cave diving. I once was jumping in Ginnie, alone, when I lost my primary. Had to get the line of the jump spool too close to the body and risked equipment entanglement to use both hands to activate a twist-on back-up light. The Intova allows for one-handed operation, but in the river, its lack of penetration has me thinking that I should put my Halcyon Scout back on the rig. I'd rather have two back-ups with long tendril beams to find lines or other objects in the distance..

Any and all updates on shore dive conditions in Brockville/Prescott areas very appreciated here.
So please keep 'em comin'!

I have 10+ divers coming up on the July 1st long weekend, plus an Advanced OW class, and will have to scamble for other ideas if the road to the Connie is closed.
I guess maybe Canteen park for shore and a night dives will be ok no matter what as alternatives.

Its also not looking good for camping, as I heard half of Grenville Park is underwater.

Ivy Lea Park is fine for camping, I was there on the May 24 and only 2 sites were under water.

We did lock 21 and the current seemed up from usual. APW (another pile of wood) Rothsay was fine also, as was Centeen Park even with the water half way up the goose prevention gate.

Due to boat launching difficulties and things like floating trees in the River, there was almost no boat traffic. It was so quiet under water while diving, no constant whine of engines. Nice.

Thanks for the info. Ivy Lea is full for our weekend, so its Grenville or nothing at this point. We're in sites that are probably high enough up to avoid the flooding that they have in the lower area. I'm more worried about access to the road at the Connie.
Oh well....

Dove Galop Canal/Lock 28 to the Conestoga on Wed (May 31). The water is no longer on the road to the Connie however the fence is still up (hope it should come down soon). The water is still high and the current cut a couple of minutes off the normal drift for this dive. Visibility is down a bit however the current and viz are manageable if you are comfortable with these types of conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom