Hello to all from the CA Desert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RH53

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I'm Robert, been looking in on the site for awhile and though I should say Hi to all. I got interested in diving at a young age watching Sea Hunt on TV, then with Jacques Cousteau films The Silent World, and World without Sun, they showed when I was at school in 5th grade, all though I just watch The Silent World a few weeks ago and thinking just how wrong it was by todays standards. I took my Open Water course in 1969 with Ed Brawley in San Mateo, California, just before I turned 16, then did my Advanced Open Water a couple of weeks later, I logged over 200 dives in the first few years, then between starting a family and work there was less and less time for diving. Fast forward 20 years to 1998 when I recertified with PADI O.W. to become a warm water vacation diver, my favorite place has been Cozumel, we have made 6 trips and 42 dives there, 3 times to the Hawaiian Islands,16 dives and a 3 times to Cabo,10 dives. I also do several local dives a year to keep current.
Well enough about me, stay wet but be safe.
RH

Welcome. Hope you've tried the California diving, too; got some good stuff there, even if it's cold water.

Richard.

Welcome to SB. We're the same age--I too watched Sea Hunt (though some may have been reruns), but didn't get certified in 1969 age 16, but in 2005 age 51. In '69 I was too busy watching the Amazin' Mets.....

Thanks for the welcome, and yes Richard I have enjoyed many California dives, in the early days it was through out the Northern CA coast, now a couple times a year, I due a few dives in Southern CA, but only in the late summer when water temperatures are a bit warmer.
RH

howdy and welcome from southeast florida......those old shows started a lot of dive enthusiast....

Hi Robert (RH53) and welcome to ScubaBoard. I'm in northern Maine and there's nothing here but cold-water diving. Though I haven't been diving in the state yet, all of my dives thus far have been in Florida and most recently Jamaica. I'm hoping to get out and explore more in the upcoming years.

I kind of gave up the cold water diving around 15 years ago, I lived in Oregon then, and would go to Washington with a few friends and dive the Puget Sound, almost up to British Columbia, but now that seems like to much work even though it was beautiful diving, now give me 78 + water temp. and 100 foot visibility and I'm a happy man.
RH

Hello Robert. You have got to try diving the Sea of Cortez. The Channel Islands Dive Club is sponsoring a week long live aboard in September. Might be a perfect opportunity to see the whales, mantas, and other beautiful creatures found in this amazing dive area.

Thanks Silvertip57,looks like a great trip, only problem for me with a live aboard is the non diving wife, always need to make the vacation plans to were she can be entertained too, but it is on my list.

Back
Top Bottom