Jupiter diver in trauma center after ‘upper extremity’ injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like left arm. Glove still partially on. Arm wrapped and dressing bloody in spots.
The only other thing I see there is that his arm is on a splint, possible broken arm?

When you feed sharks for a living, it shouldn't come as a surprise when you get bit!
Where does it say he feeds sharks for a living? I must have missed it.

The guy on the gurney does look like Randy. Is it him? I'm not certain.

20170528-20jupiter-20diver-20mvb-2002-jpg.411826.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing good about hand feeding sharks....

The rumor is the injured man is Randy Jordan of Emerald Charters, and they do shark feed dives, which has long been a controversial topic on this forum & beyond it. Randy doesn't do all the feeds, but he does some.

Richard.

Thanks for the info. I realized after I posted that there was a whole second page of replies I had missed too.

Shark bite scars are not good in the shark feeding dive business, though.

Looking at the glass half full, he is alive and the lost divers were found. No one died this week. So that's good.

Shark bite scars are not good in the shark feeding dive business, though.

True, but it reminds us to be mindful there are some risks inherent in these dives. The same is true wreck diving, cave diving, deep diving, pretty much going underwater diving... Scuba Board recently lost a fairly new member to a dive on the Spiegel Grove. Kinda hit home; I've dove that wreck 3 times a few years back. Watching this thread, I'm mindful that I did 7 dives with the Emerald just a few weeks back. My impression is much the same; hate to hear somebody got hurt bad (or killed), but I make a calculated risk assessment when I choose what kind of dives to do.

My point is, I don't think this will cause a large scale drop-off in interest in doing these dives. Now, as far as opponents using it as a weapon against shark feed diving? Oh, yeah. Just as somebody dying at Eagles Nest provides ammo. to people who want that site shut down.

I suspect there is a substantial risk differential between being a professional shark feeder handing out food, vs. being an observer/customer at a distance.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom