Weights on cam band vs plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest being able to drop enough weight to help get you to the surface with nearly full but inoperable tank(s) and your suit compressed to the maximum depth of the dive. This might be interesting to help you answer the question:
Not enough buoyancy
Proper amount of ditchable weight is a different topic. I will read your link shortly.

Can you offer opinions on weight distribution of 10 lbs:

all plate
split on plate and cam band
split on plate and hips

... Can you offer opinions on weight distribution of 10 lbs: ...

Not really, too many human variables, one solution does not fit all for perfect 3D neutral buoyancy and trim. I find that I often shift my weights and weightbelt around in the water until I find the sweet spot. From a practical standpoint, fixed weights make that level of fine tuning and experimentation difficult.

Personally I like the weighted Halcyon STA, your plate looked like a DR (?) Not sure if it'll work with a DSS wing though but suspect it will. The other thing you can do is add some trim weight pockets to waist webbing. When needed, I tend to use a combination of the above and a weight belt. My back, along with the rest of my body is in a steady decline so don't like a heavy belt either, I use max 3kgs.

I prefer to make sure my setup is maximized for trim using an Al80 cylinder. In tropical Indonesian waters, I use a halycon aluminum BP, a STA and add one kg to my upper cam band. Given a choice, solid trim trumps neutral buoyancy. That said, my current setup allows for good buoyancy and trim. One suggestion, experiment with different weighting locations. You might be surprised with your final decision. Best of luck.

I use the Zeagle pockets you attach to the plate, they can hold up to 10lbs each if needed. And when you're horizontal, the pockets rest easy on your sides. Also easy to ditch with the red handle.

Attachments

• zeagle-zip-touch-backplate-weight-system.jpg
    zeagle-zip-touch-backplate-weight-system.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 74
Proper amount of ditchable weight is a different topic. I will read your link shortly.

Can you offer opinions on weight distribution of 10 lbs:

all plate
split on plate and cam band
split on plate and hips

4. Pouches on shoulder straps, bungeed to d-rings so they don't slide around.

Personally I like the weighted Halcyon STA, your plate looked like a DR (?) Not sure if it'll work with a DSS wing though but suspect it will. The other thing you can do is add some trim weight pockets to waist webbing. When needed, I tend to use a combination of the above and a weight belt. My back, along with the rest of my body is in a steady decline so don't like a heavy belt either, I use max 3kgs.

Picture is of my DR aluminum plate. I was using it to test how secure pockets zip tied to the plate would be. Pretty secure.

For my wife, I have a steel DR plate coming. She currently uses 10-12 pounds split between waist pockets and cam band pockets. The SS plate will replace roughly 5 lbs. Trying to decide where to put the remaining 5-6 pounds. Plate, cam bands, hips and dmaziuk has recommended shoulder straps.

I guess she will have to experiment to see which location works best. Will probably start in waist pockets.

I spend a great deal of time helping divers with proper weighting. They come to me after they have gotten dissatisfied with other instruction.

One of the things to remember is that going to a plate and wing may not be a straight drop 6 lbs off the belt or anywhere else. What BC is she using now? There is a good chance that it has some inherent buoyancy that will not be present with a BPW. If she uses 10-12 lbs now she may only need 4 or so going to a 5lb plate.

If this is the case, you may be able to put two small accessory weight pockets like you have on the waist strap. Those could be easily ditched if necessary if you mount them upside down. Since they'd only hold 2-3 lbs each, properly weighted, she'd only need to drop the weight from one.

Once you put the steel plate over her lungs I don't think that you are going to need anything on the cam bands unless, to put this delicately, she is more buoyant up top and would need more weight higher up. What I have found people to not understand is that in an emergency, with an exposure suit of 3 mil or more, most people will float. Worst case scenario is you jettison the whole rig.

If your ditchable weight is on it, they won't sink. That said, I am also a huge proponent of the MAKO rubber free diving belt. I have three of them and I use weight pockets on them. The pockets remove any discomfort caused by traditional hard weights by putting them on the outside. I love that in an emergency, dropping weights on a MAKO belt, you are not out anything because they will replace the belt and lead. All they ask is an honest written account of what happened.

I am known for not recommending people spend more money when they don't need to. MAKO is an exception to that in that I will recommend that people choose their belt over a conventional $10 web belt in the strongest possible terms.

She is currently diving a DSS wing, Transplate harness with a Oxycheq soft plate. The only thing I am changing is the plate. I will reuse everything else. Cam bands, wing, harness, rings, pockets, etc..

I forgot to mention we just got back from a trip using steel 100 tanks where she used 6 lbs on the upper cam bands. Did 10 dives, her trim and comfort was fine. Any differences moving the 6 lbs from the upper cam band to mounted on the plate ? I am thinking the weights on the plate being closer to the lungs vs. on the bands will have some kind of benefit ?

Last edited:
When I do mount weights on the back they are on the cam bands. One upper and one lower. Positioned right up against the plate on opposite sides of each other. In pockets so that they can be switched as needed. There is no need to mount them on the plate. Doing it this way the center of gravity is not changed much at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom