Treatment For Clogged Ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephen1254

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been doing some reading on this sub-forum and realize I'm not the only person dealing with this. I have no problem equalizing my ears while diving, but my ears remain "clogged" after I return to the surface. It's been about 10 days now, and I think an infection has set in. I'm trying to put together a treatment plan to deal with this now and in the future.

I first had an issue about 15 years ago, when my ears didn't clear after swimming. I eventually took to wearing ear plugs when I swam, which eliminated the problem for swimming (but won't help me for diving). I had a recurrence of the problem about 18 months ago after a long flight.

The problem is likely exasperated by two things, a deviated septum and a condition known as "swimmer's ear " - a bony growth in the ear canal caused by repeated exposure of the ears to cold water, a legacy of growing up surfing in California. The deviated septum can be surgically repaired, but I was advised to not try to surgically repair the bony growth, as they cover a potion of the ear drum and the surgery is very delicate.

Things are a little complicated by my health insurance situation. I'm self-employed with a high deductible policy so I basically pay for all doctor visits and medical expenses out of pocket. I spent a small fortune at the ENT guy last year - before I started diving - and got nowhere beyond "I can't really find a problem." That included treatment with steroids. I'd like to this time try something over the counter and then work myself up to going back to the doctor, if necessary.

I am able to "pop" my ears pretty easily, but they clog up again almost immediately. I've seen people recommend Sudafed - the serious stuff behind the counter - and Flonase. People have also talked about a "Sinus Rinse" bottle. I've also seen a reference to a "Pro Ear Mask," which looks like an interesting concept for diving in the future.

Anyone want to chime in on other ideas?

It might be worth a try to:
1) drink warm liquids (e.g. herbal tea) prior to diving. Maybe bring a big thermos with you.
2) suck on a hard candy like a mint after you descend.

Good luck; I hope you can figure out this problem.

GJS

My situation sounds identical to yours. I tried with varying success the home remedies but this is what works really great for me: Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sufates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution, USP (ear drops). I had some really bad swimmer's ear from a country club pool and this stuff cleared it right up. I used it for about ten days the first time (as prescribed) but recently when I felt it coming on again I used it once or twice and it was just gone. My girlfriend had a similar problem (but she doesn't have the deviated septum or the bony growth) and her doctor prescribed some other ear drops which did not work. Her doctor finally prescribed the Neomycin and hers cleared up almost immediately too.

I keep mine in the refrigerator so I expect it will last past the expiration date plus I have the info on hand so I won't forget what to ask my doctor for next time. I take it with me now on dive trips just in case.

"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sufates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution, USP (ear drops)."

Medical jargon is beyond me - is this a single product you are referring to?

You need to be more clear about the infections you are having-outer ear, inner ear, or both.
Things to try for inner ear:
1. Saline sinus rinse - just do it! Not as bad as some people think and can make a world of difference.
2. If you have allergies > try a few weeks of non-sedating OTC antihistamines like Claritin. Some people get better results with different brands. Get a small bottle of each and experiment. Do NOT take simultaneously. Use one for a week, then try another.
3. Flonase - try it. Minimal risk (primarily minor nose bleeds for some people). It is NOT Afrin, and does not work immediately. It takes a couple weeks to reach effectiveness. Adjust dose for max effect, minimal problems. I can use a lot, some people cannot.
4. Sudafed - worth a try, ~ 1 hour before a dive. Start with 1 pill. Up to 2 if needed and you don't have problems. I suggest you do some trials on dry land before diving. It can up the anxiety level in some people.
5. Try Afrin for a SINGLE dive, about 30"-60" before the dive. The can be use for 1-2 days but is NOT a solution for multiple dive days.

6. Get some Papaya Enzyme. Suck on a couple every 15" starting an hour before a dive. It acts as a mild anti-inflammatory in the throat and Eustachian canal opening. No side effects at all. Some varieties taste pretty good. Way better than hard candy.

Outer ear:
7. Doc's Proplugs. GET SOME!!!! They won't help your clearing but help a LOT with swimmer's and surfer's ear. Pro Ear Mask is a step up in complexity and cost and another option.
Additional prevention - Use [Ear Beer] after EVERY dive. This is critical to prevent OUTER ear infection.

NOTE - Be aware that you can have INNER ear infection, and OUTER ear infection. They are ENTIRELY different problems, take completely different preventative measures, and different treatment measures if acquired. The best bet...DON'T GET INFECTED.

Make damn sure your clearing technique is excellent! This cannot be over stated. Sloppy technique will punish you with barotrauma and potential infection. "Early and often" means every 2 feet down to ~ 20-30 feet. Watch this video:
http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/Divers_Ear.avi

Good luck.

Last edited:
"Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sufates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution, USP (ear drops)."

Medical jargon is beyond me - is this a single product you are referring to?

That's just what the ear drops are called, i.e. what it says on the box. It's all one thing. It requires a prescription so it doesn't have a catchy name name.

I am a not a doctor, but I'd also like to point out that the problem may not be an infection...or not just an infection.

After going to many doctors who told me all sorts of things & made me try all sorts of things like you, I still had problems.
I eventually discovered that this was related to TMD/TMJ. I hadn't ever had a problem before so it was surprising to me to all of a sudden have this problem after diving. (Apparently, I had TMD/TMJ, but wasn't aware of it & diving exasperates the issue.)

It felt like my ears were completely clogged, but I was able to pop them. What I found finally worked for me was:
  • Doing exercises recommended by my physical therapist to calm my clenched muscles on a daily basis & stepping up this program on dive days.
  • Purchasing a reg with a ball & socket joint to reduce muscle fatigue. Making sure that my hose was the proper length so it didn't pull on my jaw.
  • Purchasing a SeaCure custom mouthpiece & when fitting it, placing myself in the position I normally dive instead of sitting up straight.
In addition, the following helped which should assist you regardless of whether you have the same problems I do or not:
  • Beginning to clear my ears on land before the dive.
  • Clearing underwater well before I felt any pressure.
I did avidly use the saline sinus rinse, but have since found that repeated use is not something recommended as it strips away your body's natural defenses. So I occasionally use it, but not multiple times a day & not multiple days in a row.

I do like Doc's Pro Plugs. My friend also swears by them. However, I sometimes lose them so have been considering getting the wacky looking Pro Ear Mask that may work better. :)

I don't like taking medication. I also worry about problems like side effects & reverse squeeze when diving on medications. Personally, I'd suggest you try other alternatives first. (I was lucky enough to find that non-medication routes worked for me. My friend was not & does dive with some of the medications above.)

I wish you the best of luck & some happy diving!

I appreciate all of these responses. I thought this was a fairly uncommon problem, but I've now learned it is quite common. I'm putting together an approach for upcoming dives - wish me luck!

I appreciate all of these responses. I thought this was a fairly uncommon problem, but I've now learned it is quite common. I'm putting together an approach for upcoming dives - wish me luck!

I was somewhat amazed when I was first told about the additional bone growth that we SoCal divers and surfers get and apparently it is not all that uncommon. I suppose all of the cold climate divers have their own version of the problem, and I can imagine it being even worse.

Back
Top Bottom