what to do with Atomic B1 1st stage & titanium 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmssetc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a used Atomic reg set -- B1 first stage & B1 titanium second stage. It looks good externally and it was described by the previous owner as being used safely, in good shape & serviced 18 months ago (ie., due for service in ~6 months).

I'm a warm-water recreation vacation diver, usually going on one or two trips a year. I've got a regulator set (Edge first stage, Edge Epic 2nd stage & Sea Elite SX30 octo) that was just serviced. I have no interest in any style of diving that requires more than one reg set, and wouldn't want to carry two with me on a plane to any destination. I have no complaints with the Edge first stage or Epic 2nd. The SX30 is acceptable but distinctly less comfortable.

Realistically I don't need another regulator....but when has a consideration of what's "realistic" ever stopped a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome? :)

Possibilities include:
  1. Have the Atomic B1 second stage serviced, add a decent swivel, use it as a replacement for the Sea Elite SX30 octo (which isn't very nice). Cost: ~$175?. Sell the B1 first stage ($unkown?).
  2. Have the Atomic first & second stage serviced (~$150?), add the Edge Epic as an octo, sell the Edge first stage & SX30 ($unknown).
  3. Sell the Atomic regulator set as-is. ($unknown).
  4. Toss it into the bin with other excess gear that gets ignored.

My inclination is to take whatever's behind door number 1 (or number 2).

Any suggestions? (Since I haven't put any of these items on the 'for-sale' forum, and that'd be off-topic here, please do not reply publicly but contact me directly if you are making an offer.)

Last edited:
First, is it B1 or B2 regulator? If B1, it should be upgraded to B2 in first and second stages.

Second, I would keep anything Atomic and get rid of the rest if you need/want to get rid of the rest, there is no question about it, not even a second thought.

The reg may be fine as it is now so no need to do anything until service is needed. Which is not necessarily in six months. Depending on usage regs can go twice as long. It all depends on when things like the IP start to creep.

Next I am going to assume you have a B1 first stage with the original sharp piston. Which if servicing typically requires it to be upgraded to the jet seat piston if the shop does not have the old HP seat service kits. (AA quit making those service kits 5-6 years ago). That will run ya $70 plus another $25 for the new service kit. Plus whatever a shop charges for the service call it $25. For the second stage, another $25 for the service kit and $25 for the service. At that point you have a fully serviced reg. Toss in another $45 for a B2 second stage color kit and you basically have a current B2 reg for a $225 investment.

As for what I would suggest:

1. Silly no need to add a swivel hose. The B1 second stage will be a better breather than the Edge.

2. Reasonable but splitting up the Edge reg set will significantly reduce its resale price.

3. Reasonable.

4. Silly.

5a. As you like your Edge reg set but you do not like your current octo, get a better one. Like one similar to your primary: Edge Escape Octopus - Regulators - Products

I am in the camp that a crappy octo is like a mini spare tire. Sure it will get you to a service station but you may be sweating it out. Get a backup that is just as good as your primary. Sure you may not ever use it, but when you do, you will be glad it is a full service spare.

Also having everything from the same brand will make service slightly easier in the future or if going on an extended trip you can get parts that will work for both second stages.

5b. Now if you want to keep the B1 and sell the Edge kit I would advise the exact thing. Get another AA second stage for an octo.

So overall I am going to say either keep the Edge kit, get an Edge octo, and sell the B1 with the Sea Elite octo or keep the B1 and update when service is needed, get an AA octo, sell the Edge kit and Sea Elite octo.

I kind of think if the AA is serviced 18 months ago, chances are jet seat upgrade are already there. In fact, you can tell by looking at the top of the 1st stage

AA 1st stage with old blunt tip piston. notice the rubber ring shape cap
AA B1 blunt.jpg

AA 1st stage with jet seat piston. The ring shape cap is replaced by a full cap. In this case, you save about $70 off from Scare Silly's estimate.
AA Jet.jpg

Unless someone replace the cap without actually doing the piston upgrade, which is a messed up practice.

If I were you, I will keep AA, sell Edge combo. Keep Sea Elite octo in the meantime and hunt for another AA 2nd stage. It could be Z2. Once I get the AA octo, sell Sea Elite. This will probably be a more expansive option. You are not going to get much out of Edge because it was a low cost regulator to begin with. But if you are a vacation diver and don't plan to service our own reg, AA will be a better choice just because the service network is much bigger. If you have issue at your destination, you are more likely to get AA repair than Edge

I've read this page and i'm curios if the upgraded B1 would be suitable for cold water? I live in Massachusetts.

I've read this page and i'm curios if the upgraded B1 would be suitable for cold water? I live in Massachusetts.

How cold is cold and when? What time of the year are going to be diving in MA and where (Ocean or fresh water)?

If you are going to be doing "ice" diving, under the ice, the middle of the winter, the B1 (upgrade to B2 anyways), may not be the most suitable regulator for this purpose, the M1 from Atomic will be more appropriate. If you are going to be doing recreational diving in the Ocean and lakes but not during the freezing times of the year, then the B1 is just fine (I would upgrade it to a B2 and seal the first stage). I have used the T, B1/2 in Cape Ann waters most months of the year without any issues at all (but not ice diving).

It doesn't matter which first stage you use. All the Atomics will have the same freeze resistance.

How cold is cold and when? What time of the year are going to be diving in MA and where (Ocean or fresh water)?

If you are going to be doing "ice" diving, under the ice, the middle of the winter, the B1 (upgrade to B2 anyways), may not be the most suitable regulator for this purpose, the M1 from Atomic will be more appropriate. If you are going to be doing recreational diving in the Ocean and lakes but not during the freezing times of the year, then the B1 is just fine (I would upgrade it to a B2 and seal the first stage). I have used the T, B1/2 in Cape Ann waters most months of the year without any issues at all (but not ice diving).

Thanks for your insight, i did my open water cert last weekend in Gloucester. The water temp was low 50's, so i think thats about the temp im looking for a reg to work at.

Thanks for your insight, i did my open water cert last weekend in Gloucester. The water temp was low 50's, so i think thats about the temp im looking for a reg to work at.

You shouldn't have any issues in these temperatures at all. I dove Cape Ann in March/April without any issues.

Get the B1 upgraded to B2 (assuming that you really have a B1 not a B2 now) and also get the first stage "sealed" and you will be all set. If you don't have an Atomic Dealer you deal with already, I'd go to Cape Ann divers in Gloucester and let them take care of it for you. Cape Divers should also be expert enough to guide you in these type of questions. They have been there since late 80's.

You can/should mention my name to Mary or Dave Stillman :)

I dont have any reg yet. Ive been looking at the B1, Sherwood SR1 and scuba pro S600. Im trying to find a good deal but being brand new its confusing and theres alot of info to take in.

Back
Top Bottom